Computer thinks theres two installs of windows

hyperion916

Limp Gawd
Hi just reformatted my sister's laptop because it was overloaded with viruses and spyware.

I did my normal process of reformatting, but when I was done after every startup it displays two window xp installations. When I click the 2nd one it says its corrupt.

How do I remove the 2nd windows xp at startup? I never had this happen before and im not sure what i should be googling to find help.

System Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recover: Settings -> Edit. Just remove the incorrect entry, save, and close the boot.ini file. It sounds like you didnt format the machine, but just installed windows into a second folder, keeping the original file system intact. If thats the case, all the spyware and virus' are still on the machine.

Start -> Run -> msconfig - > Boot.ini -> Check All Boot Paths

This should find the erroneous entry, it'll then give you the option to delete it.

It could be that your MBR is registering the old install. Try booting into the recovery console from the XP install CD and running fixmbr.

If the system has 2 partitions on it, and you didn't delete the old one that the other OS was on, that could be why this happened. Also, if you use the XP installation tool and format more than 1 drive, you will get multiple boot choices. Don't use that tool to format additional partitions.

Ranma_Sao [H]ard|Gawd, 6.4 Years

Ranma_Sao is offline Report Post
attrib -s -h -r C:\boot.ini
notepad C:\boot.ini
Delete the Home line
Save the c:\boot.ini
attrib +s +h +r C:\boot.ini

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

This worked for me just yesterday.

BTW how do you quote someone into a different thread? I know it's just some silly little forum code, but I don't know it.

BTW how do you quote someone into a different thread? I know it's just some silly little forum code, but I don't know it.

Go into the advanced reply page (the Post Reply button), paste the text you want to quote, and then highlight it and click the button above that looks like a text bubble with writing it. If you want to show who the quote is from, you add "=Name" to the end of the first QUOTE tag inside the brackets, so it looks like this:
Name said:
Alternatively, you could click the quote button at the bottom of the post you want to quote, and then just copy the content of the post dialog it takes you to and paste that into whatever post you're making.

Go into the advanced reply page (the Post Reply button), paste the text you want to quote, and then highlight it and click the button above that looks like a text bubble with writing it. If you want to show who the quote is from, you add "=Name" to the end of the first QUOTE tag inside the brackets, so it looks like this:
Name said:
Alternatively, you could click the quote button at the bottom of the post you want to quote, and then just copy the content of the post dialog it takes you to and paste that into whatever post you're making.

Thank you. So easy, I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Back