Computer sees router but not network?

DellAxim

Gawd
I'm trying to add another wireless access point to my network in a place where I get a bad wireless signal but I also have a LAN cable from my other router. I used a standard cat5 cable from one router to the other. I plugged one computer into the new access point and it connects to the network just fine.

With my wireless computer, it connects to the router, and shows an "excellent" signal. I can configure the router settings wirelessly. For some reason though, this computer can't see the rest of the network. I know it's connecting to the router so why can't I see the other computer plugged into the same router?

what brand/model WAP?
you do at least get internet access from the wireless computer connected to this WAP, correct?

Did you set the second one up as an AP? My guess is that you haven't configured the second as an access point and it's assigning IP's independent from your main router. What Brands/Models are you using?

you do at least get internet access from the wireless computer connected to this WAP, correct?
Nope, it acts like it's not connected at all.

Did you set the second one up as an AP? My guess is that you haven't configured the second as an access point and it's assigning IP's independent from your main router. What Brands/Models are you using?

The second router is an old Dlink DI-614+. I don't see any option to "set" it as an access point...I think that's all it does?

I tried plugging the wireless computer into the router and still the same problem, but the other computer plugged into it works just fine. :confused: Everything is running windows XP...

Nope, it acts like it's not connected at all.

The second router is an old Dlink DI-614+. I don't see any option to "set" it as an access point...I think that's all it does?

I tried plugging the wireless computer into the router and still the same problem, but the other computer plugged into it works just fine. :confused: Everything is running windows XP...

so the wired computer can see the other computers and get to the internet, but the wired cannot? strange..
do an ipconfig to verify the laptop is getting an IP address?

but, first thing I would do is this:
First, do NOT use the WAN/Internet port on the DLink. This will cause any devices connected to this router to be double-NAT'ed, which is never fun to deal with.
Secondly, disable the DHCP server on the DLink.

This essentially turns the router into a switch and WAP.

Did you uplink it wouth your existing router using the "internet" port? Don't do that, also turn of DHCP on the Dlink DI-614.

Back