• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer overheating, how do I figure out which component it is?

Joined
Apr 14, 2010
Messages
703
Lately my computer has been shutting down while I am gaming, doesn't matter what game it is. It only does this on the hotter days, and I can't turn my computer back on for about 15 minutes. This suggests to me that my PC is overheating and shutting down of a safety feature.

When I use hardware monitor I see that my Phenom II 965 idles around 38 and gets around 46 at load. I have a Noctua C12P cooler for it. My Radeon 5850 never goes above 80, so that can't be the problem. I opened up my case and felt component temps with my hand and the case of my Seasonic M12D 850 watt PSU was warm to the touch, not hot, but warm. I would have thought this PSU would have been stone cold. It is mounted with the fan facing down towards the open venting on the bottom of my case, the AZZA solano 1000, which has a ton of airflow. I am amazed I am having cooling issues. Everything is running at stock.

Any trouble shooting tips?
 
Stress test, prime95 your processor and furmark your gpu and watch the temps with HWMonitor.
 
So I have never run either of those programs, can they damage my components? People refer to Prime95 as a "torture test". Also for furmark, if there is something wrong with my video card will this program fry it?

Is there any way for me to tell if it is my PSU overheating?
 
It's a torture test because it uses 100% of the chips capacity, no it won't damage your stuff. If anything your card will just throttle back if it is infact getting too hot. Most likely your psu isn't overheating unless the fan died.
 
Back
Top