CompTIA backs down!!!

I lolled.

On the one hand it's basically ridiculous that my Network+ and Security+ earned in 2005 can still be considered valid even today, let alone until I die of old age, but on the other hand, screw you comptia.

:p

i hear what you're saying but remember, the Network+ basically says you understand the basics of networking

not that you're an all knowing network guru that can pass all 4 CCIE disciplines on the first try :)

pffttt... I got mine in 1999 or so... TCP/IP is basically unchanged... hardware is basically the same with slightly different slots...

Stuff like FDDI, IPX/SPX, etc that were covered still crop up from time to time.

Granted most people will never see 100BaseVG AnyLAN, 10Base-5 Ethernet networks, token ring, or any of that other odd stuff ever again. Doesn't mean learning it was a waste. Technologies likes CSMA/CA got reused on wireless networks.

Last edited:
awesome! i thought that was pretty shitty of them! thanks for the news, hadn't seen this yet.

I can hear them faintly screaming in the background... were still relevant, were still, were...

I do consider this relevant, they don't say you are an expert at anything but basically just certificating that you can pull your head out and get some things done without calling someone and asking how to save and unzip an email attachment. Seriously, I get calls like that. How these people got a technical job without basic skills just amazes me. I have mentioned this to my managers and they now look for this form of most basic certification in new hires, even if it is just an administrative position, because the heavy computer use in any office now warrants it.

Whew....I feel better now.:rolleyes:

Most people who have the cert, and stayed in the field in some way, will be "up" on the info a forced re-cert would have covered anyway.

Whew....I feel better now.:rolleyes:

Most people who have the cert, and stayed in the field in some way, will be "up" on the info a forced re-cert would have covered anyway.

not to mention the certs are only for the "basics" or "fundamentals" which are things that won't change dramatically any time soon.

Networking still has the same fundamentals as it did 20 years ago, just different media.

Ok, so the OS-side of things has changed fairly dramatically, considering the true OS used to be all CLI and then Windows was just a GUI running on top the CLI, and that did change. But most of the basics are still there.

so I could have honestly not given a rat's ass if they decided to make the certs expire. But then again, I already have my foot in the door so I now have experience to back it up.

Eh. I'm one of those lazy people who never got any certification, I might just get the A+, Net+, and Sec+ while they are still lifetime. Granted I should be working on more important ones, but eh I might as well knock these out quickly just for the hell of it.

Exactly, many of the people on the forum here can just go take the tests cold and pass. Then you have a nice legit line item to stick on your resume where before was only some vague experience claims. A foot in the door an one company doesn't always translate to something meaningful when you need to go elsewhere.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

It comes down to be told that this certification would be lifetime, and then they tried to go back on that for the people that already bought that product.
It basically ends up being (if they would have went through with expiring them after three years) not getting what you paid for. Could've ended up in court and CompTIA could have lost big time. Probably a smart move to backpedal.

It comes down to be told that this certification would be lifetime, and then they tried to go back on that for the people that already bought that product.
It basically ends up being (if they would have went through with expiring them after three years) not getting what you paid for. Could've ended up in court and CompTIA could have lost big time. Probably a smart move to backpedal.

This.

I lol'd.
I already have my A+ and Net+, I was a bit pissed to hear that I would have to renew, so I was just going to say the hell with comptia and go for my CCNA/CCNP/CCIE because those are worth recerting for every three years.

I was planning on getting my A+ here shortly; been studying up. If I get it in the next few months does that mean it's good permanently?

yes, as long as it's before 2010

you should have 0 problems passing A+

use Mike Myer's A+ 4th edition book as your guide, it comes with practice exams on it

you should be able to pass once you can do well on those practice exams as well as all the various free exams online

I'm actually reading Exam Cram right now. I've learned a couple things out of it.

ok great

also Mike Myers has a 6th Edition out now, sorry for the slight mis-info lol

pass it!!!!

I had no idea this was going on. Good to know as I got my A+ in nov 09.

Back