COMPOUND - retraux VR FPS

I figure I should give this game a little shout-out since while it's still in development and a very basic game at the moment, it's quite fun for what it is even at this stage. Even so, the developer's active and has some big updates in the works, going by the comments on the game page.

https://notdead.itch.io/compound

Other than the very Blake Stone/Wolfenstein/etc. early 90s FPS aesthetic, what sets COMPOUND apart from all the other VR FPSs out there is the use of old-school projectiles over near-hitscan bullets, meaning you have an opportunity to quickly duck out of the way of whatever's coming - and you'll have to, since your grip button movement speed is too slow to simply outrun the bullets!

This is something I find fascinating from a design standpoint since it encourages the distinct mobility that VR offers, all while not confining the player to a given point (unless, of course, you want to just camp around corners and doorways).

Granted, I do wish that I could just have Onward-style conventional analog stick/trackpad locomotion. All I can do is move forward with the grip trigger wherever my off-hand's pointing, meaning that if I walk up to a door and there's enemies right in front of you behind that door (and it happens surprisingly often), it's not easy to back away before they start blasting. Perhaps it encourages the aforementioned dodging that way.

By the way, with the current build, there's no point in suiciding like that second video: you'll get a "You Win!" message if you kill every enemy in the current run. I don't know if that was a change made with that sewer level update.

Back