Comcast Business + SMC8013WG + 5 Static IPs

SJConsultant

2[H]4U
Has anyone configured Comcast's SMC8013WG-CCR with more than one static IP?

If so how does one configure everything since there does not seem to be a way to do so through the web admin page of the modem/router?

well...

back in the day when my friends and I had 4 static IPs from Speakeasy (who totally r0x0red our b0x0rs ;) ) we had an interesting network configuration:

The LAN-side of the DSL modem went straight into a switch. Three of ours static IPs were assigned to LAN computers which were directly connected to the switch. The Router/ Firewall we have was assigned the last static IP on its WAN port. Both the router's WAN and LAN ports were connected to the switch. The router served DHCP requests on our lan for visiting friends, who'd all share the router's IP, while my two roommates and I were able to always use the other two static IPs.

Now, my point is that there is no reason to assign your router all five static IP's since it would still only be able to use one of them for NAT purposes. The only thing that would make sense if to configure one static IP for your router and have it serve the other four via DHCP to LAN clients. These lan clients would then need to be configured to use the router as the default gateway. The problem is that you are likely going to have a hard time configuring the subnet-mask correctly so that packets are routed properly.

The problem is the Comcast device is a combo modem/router which has no configuration for me to specify which static IPs I want to use. The customer is not allowed to use anything but the comcast supplied equipment.

Sigh... Looks like I'm going to have to endure a phone call to tech support.

With Time Warner business class, they are supposed to give you a list of addresses to use. If you don't have a list, be prepaired to wait on the phone...

MorfiusX said:
With Time Warner business class, they are supposed to give you a list of addresses to use. If you don't have a list, be prepaired to wait on the phone...

Yes I already have the list. The problem is figuring out *HOW* to use them with the SMC8013WG modem/router that is supplied by Comcast.

SJConsultant said:
Yes I already have the list. The problem is figuring out *HOW* to use them with the SMC8013WG modem/router that is supplied by Comcast.

I don't know but I will say good luck to you. I had the same kind of problem with Earthlink and their "required" router/modem whish they would support a device that was worth a darn.

Back