Comcast Bandwidth

ThomasE66

2[H]4U
Most of you who use Comcast probably know that they recently upped their bandwidth to 4 megabit down/384 up for their basic Cable Internet package. How many of you who have Comcast are getting that much bandwidth? I'm just curious because I've been extremely pleased with them lately. Here's the test I ran last night (on a busy server no less) at broadbandreports:

Internet_Bandwidth.jpg

What about the rest of you? Are you getting what they advertise?

I got my upgrade a few weeks ago and it's been great.

I only ran a speedtest after I rebooted my modem and it was around that. But I can upload at 40k+ and download is well into the 400's, so I'm very pleased.

My GF has comcast at her parents house and when they run bandwidth test they are only getting 1.6mbps. Does it matter if they run the test on wireless or wired because that test was on wireless? And another thing, i thought the minimum basic speed before they said they upgrade to 4mbps, was 3mbps. They are kinda out in the boonie/country area. Would that matter? Whats going on here?

Nirad9er said:
My GF has comcast at her parents house and when they run bandwidth test they are only getting 1.6mbps. Does it matter if they run the test on wireless or wired because that test was on wireless? And another thing, i thought the minimum basic speed before they said they upgrade to 4mbps, was 3mbps. They are kinda out in the boonie/country area. Would that matter? Whats going on here?

It might be that their area hasn't been upgraded yet. They started in larger metropolitan areas.

Wireless shouldn't matter. Even 802.11b has enough bandwidth to match the speeds.

Nirad9er said:
My GF has comcast at her parents house and when they run bandwidth test they are only getting 1.6mbps. Does it matter if they run the test on wireless or wired because that test was on wireless?

It could, depending on the signal quality and strength. To make the test more accurate, try it again from a computer that's hard-wired, and do it when any other computers are not in use.

Nybbles said:
It could, depending on the signal quality and strength. To make the test more accurate, try it again from a computer that's hard-wired, and do it when any other computers are not in use.

True, but if it's running properly then it shouldn't matter. Still, good advice and something to try.

I recently received the upgrade and also upgraded to the 6 meg service. I usually test my speed by downloading a file from newsgroups/IRC or something with lots of bandwidth. Got about 787 kB/s. Hardwired thru my Linksys router.
56dfs

I'm considering upgrading my speed as well. That's a great download rate you're getting!

First I upgraded to the 6mb as well and I am getting around 5 in speed test. I have been debating on wether or not to call them about this as I am getting it from 3 diffrent computers all the same. I have not tested without the router tho so that might be where the prob is. My upload is right on the money tho. Now I can be sharing on one computer and not feel it as bad on the other. Before with my 256up if i uploaded anything over 15 it was dialup on any computer on the network.

As for the wireless speed test. Yes it will effect your speeds if there is a problem. I work for a dsl company doing tech support and this guy was complaining about the piss poor speeds he would get on te speed test. Found out he is wireless (after many times of asking him, god i hate people) So we connect using ethernet and his speed are right on the money. Now he says that the signal strength said excellent (but i dont think he actualy knew where to look). So long story short yes it does effect your speeds, even if you are running a 802.1g

JEEVES

Edit. Also wanted to add that the upgrade was done with me on the phone. Just had to powercycle and we had the new speed.

I haven't gotten the upgrade yet. DSL reports still shows up @ 3Mbps.

I am a little tired of Comcast's High BIlls. When I add Internet and Digital/HD Cable (Basic) service. I pay around 140$ a month to those losers already. It's fast, but I'm gone as soon as Verizon FIOS is available in my Area which should be soon. $49.99 15Mbps down 2Mbps Up. They have also partnered with Direct TV. So I'm going to get the Dish because of the Lack of HD content on Comcast.

Well yeah wireless will make a diff in the test. 802.11b in most situations will NOT get better than about 2mb/sec.

I have Comcast in the Northern VA area and am getting tests showing 4mb/s Down ~380kb/s up.

Ballz2TheWallz - Here is a tip you should use, save you a lot of time and bandwidth - ALT-PrintScreen it only captures the active window. Holy Crap that pic of yours was a lot of wasted space!

Ballz2TheWallz said:
meh
[MG]http://home.comcast.net/~ballz2thewallz/speed.JPG[/IMG]
6meg service haha!

Most likely a burst rate. If you'd have taken that screenshot at the end of one of the files downloading and still had those speeds, I would have been impressed.

How much more a month is the upgrade?

Second I get 4012-4300 on mine and 356-386 upload depending on the time of day or 506 download and 45 upload.... if that makes sense to you.....

It's only $10/month more. I just need to get around to calling them now that the 6 meg service is available in Pgh.

feigned said:
Most likely a burst rate. If you'd have taken that screenshot at the end of one of the files downloading and still had those speeds, I would have been impressed.

no he is about on for the 6mb service. I have the same and when downloading from download.com I get speeds between 1040ish-600ish. Now it realy depends on the site you are downloading from. I still get speeds of less than 100 from some places.

Yeah I called for the 4mb upgrade and asked how much and what was next speeds and they said 6mb/768 for 10 dollars more than you are paying now. I said well shit give me that. Best decision ever :D

JEEVES

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
no he is about on for the 6mb service. I have the same and when downloading from download.com I get speeds between 1040ish-600ish. Now it realy depends on the site you are downloading from. I still get speeds of less than 100 from some places.

Yeah I called for the 4mb upgrade and asked how much and what was next speeds and they said 6mb/768 for 10 dollars more than you are paying now. I said well shit give me that. Best decision ever :D

JEEVES

You are sorely mistaken, friend.

Add up the three values that are shown in his screenshot = 2283KB/s or 2.23MB/s. In Mb/s that value is 18264. That is not possible with his 6Mb connection.

6Mb service will allow you to see a theoretical maximum of 750KB/s or .73MB/s. Like I said, that's a burst rate and if the screenshot had shown the transfers at the end of their runs I would have been impressed.

That screenshot is false and I'm telling you it is. It's simple.

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:

JEEVES
i moved up awhile back when u had to have the home networking for the speed, i went from there 3/256 to the 4/384...then when the 3/256 wend to 4/384 and my service went to 6/768...my pants went wet lol best $10 ever but when fios is here im jumping on it

Upgraded a week or so ago, and I consistently dl 520ishKB/s and upload right around 45KB/s.

rant
Debating on uprgrading to the 6meg service. My only hold back is, when i upgrading from 1.5 to 3.0 with my dsl it only cost $5 bux, and that doubled the speed, where i already have 4, so it's not doubling the speed and it's 10 bux, and my cable is already higher than my dsl was.
/rant

Back