Comcast and faster, lower pings?

zombix

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking for someone that has comcast and I think its called Power Boost?

I was wonderin how much lower will my ping get while playing first person shooter such as quake wars.

Just asking if anyone knew.

PS I lost the comcast hot line :D

Power boost won't give you any ping boosts.

What power boost does is it allows your download to progress at faster then your line cap at the beginning of a connection (read: download) for about 30 seconds and during that 30 seconds it decreases slowly until it reaches your line cap at the lower end of the curve.

Think of it as a free savings of the time it takes to download 30 megabytes of data.

Bottom Line: You won't get better pings. Only better download times midsize files (5 - 200 megabytes).

The "PowerBoost" used on most Comcast systems now gives uncapped throughput for the first ten megabytes of a connection. Previously, Comcast had experimented with 15s, 20s, and 30s intervals.

If you've got a router with a fast CPU, you'll often see PowerBoost speeds of 33+Mbps, as shown here:

http://www.dslreports.com/archive?zip=&dnsdom=comcast.net&start=Search

Of course, if your router only sustains 20Mbps, that is all you will ever see.

The "PowerBoost" used on most Comcast systems now gives uncapped throughput for the first ten megabytes of a connection. Previously, Comcast had experimented with 15s, 20s, and 30s intervals.

If you've got a router with a fast CPU, you'll often see PowerBoost speeds of 33+Mbps, as shown here:

http://www.dslreports.com/archive?zip=&dnsdom=comcast.net&start=Search

Of course, if your router only sustains 20Mbps, that is all you will ever see.

Or more! :D

Actually it's settled down for me...but back over a year ago when they were first deploying it in my area, for a couple of months it was bursting up past 80 megs even...I think I peaked at 88 megs down.

A month ago they bumped the upload to 2 megs...so power cycle your modems if you haven't seen that.
powerboost2.JPG

I get this on Comcast... Using WRT54G flashed to DD-WRT 2.3SP2 not using that Boost feature... that's just my modem as it is all day.

Tested on 7/26/2007 at 8:39 PM EST

160336998.png

Back