combining/teaming two ethernet sources on a switch

trizc

n00b
i have both power line and wifi to ethernet bridge that i want to team together. i purchased a netgear prosafe gs108e v3 in hopes of LAG being what i want (perhaps i need a gs108t).

what is the cheapest solution so my single gigabit port ESXI server uses the best link or combination? fastest should be the 802.11ac bridge, or the powerline which is at 20mbps but stable when the wifi is not performing.

from my understanding, link aggregation switches 802.3ad is not what i want, it requires 2 connections from the router and two connections into a server that has dual nic. in my case i only have one nic and i want and client on the switch to use the wifi to ethernet bridge or powerline based on which has more bandwidth available. correct me if i am wrong

basically i want some sort of dual wan but inside my network.

1. what happens if you plugin two ports from the router into an unmanaged switch? which link will clients connected to switch use?

2. is there a solution to use a tomato/dd-wrt router? i understand that there are some dual wan scripts but if you disable dhcp (because my main router is a pfsense box) does it render dualwan useless?

3. i am assuming this can be done via VLAN? where the esxi server gets two tagged interfaces and determines which is best from there? ideally i would want the switch to manage this and not the OS

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Edit: Never mind, noticed wireless. Combining a half duplex line at a different speed than a full duplex line isn't happening.

Last edited:
I would not even attempt to do what you're proposing. I can't imagine anything but a big mess.

You're far better off running some cat5 or purchasing faster wifi gear.

Back