Coil inside of my subwoofer (pic)

elation

Gawd
My ADA880s finally kicked the bucket but I just couldn't throw them away. So I gutted the electronics. While inside the sub, I found this coil. It was on the opposite side of the speaker. I'd like to hook the speakers up to an amp one day but don't know if the sub will work the same w/o this coil.

What is this?
SubwooferCoil.jpg

I think that may the the electromagnet that make the spaeaker work
im not sure though just guessing

Looks like some kind of transformer to me, usally find them in the power supply part of power amplifiers.

Interesting. The blue and red wire were coming directly out of the plug. The speaker still works (although no amp to plug it into) but was wondering if this gave it it's punch. I simply know nothing about audio. :)

Yes its part of the power circut. you do not need this to connect the sub to an external amplifier.

Definitely a transformer. Used ones that look just like that to build power supplies before.

Definitely a transformer. Used ones that look just like that to build power supplies before.
+1 Torroid transformers are pretty common in audio equipment, or when space is a premium.

This should have been apparent simply by looking at how it was hooked up. But also there are too many connections for a simple low pass filter inductor.

Toroidal transformer. Surprised so many people didn't recognise it, do kids not make transformers in physics class anymore?

Toroidal transformer. Surprised so many people didn't recognise it, do kids not make transformers in physics class anymore?

No they don't, both high school and the three physics classes I took in college never had me winding a transformer. The most we did just involved basic circuits, even those circuits weren't all that interesting.

No they don't, both high school and the three physics classes I took in college never had me winding a transformer. The most we did just involved basic circuits, even those circuits weren't all that interesting.
intersting. My 16-17yo Physics classes here in the UK had me winding transformers, observing electrical resonance, etc.

Yea me too my 11th grade class was winding trasformers hehe I guess we are showing our age HAHA.

Back