cmd.exe running delays shutdown, could it be a virus/trojan?

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
When I go to shutdown the computer (Windows 7) shutdown is delayed because cmd.exe is still running. It happens every time now. Could it be a virus using the terminal somehow?

I usually don't download anything that is not from a well trusted sources such as sourceforge.net, but on occasion I have downloaded software that was not really well reviewed etc. fairly unheard of etc. But not recently.

Yes, I have Avira and I just installed Malwarebytes anti-malware.

I wonder what are the detection rates like for old virues etc? What if I downloaded a virus more than 6 months ago for example?

[U]ber|Noob;1041300146 said:
Yes, I have Avira and I just installed Malwarebytes anti-malware.

I wonder what are the detection rates like for old virues etc? What if I downloaded a virus more than 6 months ago for example?

I usually schedule a deep scan with something like Avast, outside of windows. I also have a few Linux distros with AV software that I would run outside of windows.

Any decent AV software suite will have support for detection of older viruses. Actually they do a better job of detecting old threats vs new threats.

With the linux distros you have, is there one that is ready to go as a live usb stick?

Is the cmd.exe running at shutdown likely to be a virus or could it be something normal?

[U]ber|Noob;1041300152 said:
With the linux distros you have, is there one that is ready to go as a live usb stick?

Is the cmd.exe running at shutdown likely to be a virus or could it be something normal?

It may be normal. Sometimes when Windows installs updates (it doesnt always notify when it installs) it takes a bit longer than usual to shut down.

Are you using a SSD?

Back