Cloning a pulled drive - 10.5.8

trewyn15

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I have a drive with a damaged SATA power port for my PowerMac G5.

This drive has 10.5.8 on it and I don't have the original install discs, so just reinstalling a new drive would be difficult and probably expensive. Since this drive is 100% useless in my G5 due to it being all SATA I would like to clone this drive to another SATA drive.

Since I can still power the broken drive through it's PATA power connection I should be able to get it up and running. My only question is, am I able to clone one drive connected externally to another drive that is connected externally? Also I only have one cord so I can only connect one drive at a time.

Hopefully this makes sense and hopefully you guys are able to help me out here.

Thanks in advance!

yes, get a USB/firewire to SATA adapter so you can attach two drives to the laptop. or clone the drive to an image file onto another hard drive.

since most people use either Time Machine or CarbonCopy via an external drive, you should have no issues. So long as the OS can mount the drive, you should be able to do external-to-external if you need to.

Thanks for the input guys. I should be more specific.

I am going to be doing this through my Windows 7 laptop, but the drive I want to clone is made for an Apple PowerMac G5.

I only have one connection to be able to connect one drive at a time.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a program that will allow me to save the image from one drive, disconnect that drive, plug in the new drive, and then write that image to the next drive?

I hope that makes sense. I just have no way to connect both of the external 3.5 desktop drives at the same time.

this may not matter anymore... seller just alerted me that there's not an OS on the drive although the auction on ebay clearly stated there was.

"I only have one connection to be able to connect one drive at a time. "

Why? Only one usb port on the win7 machine?

Program wise, you might try http://clonezilla.org/, for intel based Mac OS anyway.

Back