CISSP & CCNA:Security vs. CCNA

well, it seems as though he wants to go into the security aspect of the IT world? Without a decent career track that you can point us into, we can't recommend for you to either start cutting lemons or lacing boots.

If you're looking to go into security I suggest the following path. CISSP is overkill for most people and the experience requirement to even put the letters after your name is 5 years, 4 if you have a degree. However it is the most recognized certification in Information Security. It really depends if you want to stay technical or go managerial. That makes a huge difference.

If you want to stay Cisco, I've looked at the CCNA Security book and it's not that bad either. As others have stated though, you can't really compare. CISSP is a managerial type of certification and less technical. The Cisco stuff is technically focused.

http://www.isc2.org/dodmandate/default.aspx

Again, to echo what everyone said... completely different certifications and completely different expectations.

CCNA-Security
------------------------
Implement high IOS level security
know high level IOS security theory

CISSP
------------------------------
theory
inaccurate theory
theory

Thats my quick summary. Also, the year requirement must be in network security related positions, so if you're doing network engineering and implementing CBAC and interface ACL's that aint going to cut it :p, not to mention the fact that you need to maintain the certification(speaches, releasing white papers/written articles, etc).

Oh....wow...yeah I think I'll go with CCNA Security for now then. So on that note, how hard would you folks compare CCNA Security to the CCNA test? Much harder? Easier? I have already been studying for the test by reading the Cisco Press 640-553 book. Any further advice?

Get a router that supports SDM. Well that's my advice, but only because I have one. /shrug

I passed the CCNA: Security in March. It was about on-par difficulty level with a recent CCNA. It had a lot more SDM questions than I would have liked.

not to mention the fact that you need to maintain the certification(speaches, releasing white papers/written articles, etc).

Just to clarify, you don't have to make speeches or release white papers or write articles to keep your CISSP. They are called CPE credits. You obtain them by being active in the security world, such as going to discussions, reading books, subscriptions to certain publications count, training courses, bringing in vendors for discussions. You can get CPE's from writing white papers and whatnot, but its far easier to do the other stuff.

CISSP isn't hard, a lot of memorization. The CISSP is fast becoming the MCSE of the security world. A lot of paper tigers running around here at work.

Just to clarify, you don't have to make speeches or release white papers or write articles to keep your CISSP. They are called CPE credits. You obtain them by being active in the security world, such as going to discussions, reading books, subscriptions to certain publications count, training courses, bringing in vendors for discussions. You can get CPE's from writing white papers and whatnot, but its far easier to do the other stuff.
Okay, ill relay that to my uncle who lost his CISSP for not putting out any publications within the 3 year period yet purchased and read about 100 books. CPE's are extremely scrutinized and are the downside of this certification. Writing papers and giving speaches are the clear and most significant way to keep your CISSP.

Okay, ill relay that to my uncle who lost his CISSP for not putting out any publications within the 3 year period yet purchased and read about 100 books. CPE's are extremely scrutinized and are the downside of this certification. Writing papers and giving speaches are the clear and most significant way to keep your CISSP.

Please do. I'd love to know since I renewed mine last year and never published a white paper or gave a speech. Listened to a bunch of podcasts, read some books, vendor presentations. If ya spread it out 120 credits is easy.

Back