Cisco Small Business Switches - Any good?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Are Cisco Small Business Switches any good. (Not the linksys/Cisco hybrids if possible)

My budget is 250-500 range and I am looking for a gig switch with IOS if possible for my home. I am well versed in enterprise Cisco stuff but the small business switches are new and new to me.

Thanks!

The SG series have lineage back to Linksys. However, don't let that throw you off too bad. SG300 is what you want if you're looking for the strong management with IOS-like CLI. I bought an SG300-20 off Amazon and held it for a month just to mess with, and overall had a very positive experience with it. At just under $500 for that many GigE ports, I think they're a great value and can fit in a lot of scenarios. I definitely recommend them. One thing that I really appreciated about it was the fanless design... nice and quiet.

It's not true IOS though, even though it's a pretty good facsimile of it. Review the CLI guide to see what I mean. Search SG300 on the forums and you'll see some stuff by AMD_Gamer about them. He bought and still uses the 10 port model.

If you want gigabit IOS at home, you're probably stuck getting a something like a 3550-12T for 200-275 in a big box with fans.

Back