Cisco router - share cable broardband?

Matrix

Limp Gawd
So I have this cisco router and I was wondering if I can share my cable internet connection between computers with it. Its a 2500 seris and has 2 serial ports and 1 ethernet console and AUX.

Someone suggested to me to buy a second one and link them with serial and have the internet going into the ethernet on one and through the serial to the second and the a link from the seconds' ethernet into a switch. Ideas?

you need one with 2 ethernet ports...or do what that person told you...

Unless you have a static IP from your ISP, you'll need IOS 12.3 (IIRC) to do DHCP off an eth port. And i don't think the 2500's can take IOS 12. But i could be wrong.
If you have a *fast* cable connection, the Cisco's could slow it down, as the serial link is only 1.45Mb/s. (i think, it's been awhile since i worked on one that old.)
I'm doing what you're trying on a 2611, has dual eth on it so no serial connection needed.

AUX seems to tell me its a token ring router. not much help, besides to share a cable ceonnection youd need a WIC1 ENET card, serial cards connect to v.35 cables which normally go to DSU/CSU's

you can piggy-back serial connections as long as one of them sets the clock rate, and the other requests it.

The serial links on Cisco 2500 routers can be set up to 4 Mbit/s. IOS version compatibility depends on how much RAM and flash the router is equipped with. I've seen v12.0 in use on the lab routers in the academy where I studied.

Kaos: The AUX port is used for connecting a modem for dial-in console or whatever. A token ring port would be a DB-9 port, marked "Token ring".

ambit said:
Unless you have a static IP from your ISP, you'll need IOS 12.3 (IIRC) to do DHCP off an eth port. And i don't think the 2500's can take IOS 12. But i could be wrong.

I am running 12.2(26) on one of my 2514s in my lab. However, it has been fairly well upgraded.

This is really ugly, and i woud recommend either getting a 2nd one or just not doing it at all, but it will work.

As mentioned earlier, youll probably need a newer IOS... though for guys like me, it's hard to get and probably illegal, so i just don't do it.

let me know if you ever want to get rid of it :)

i am running 12.3 on my 2514. ir recquyires you to max out flash and dram. It has been done with one ethernet interface but I probably wouldn't do it.

Back