Cisco IOS (ccna lab) questions.

Atherton213

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently putting together a lab to work on my CCNA. I havent plugged anything in yet to see whats versions are on what.

Main question (more will come later probably). First box to arrive has the Cisco 2501 in it, and i just picked up the 16/16 upgrade to max the memory in it. (currently 8/8).

Just checking the cisco website for the latest IOS versions... but i see you need some kind of service agreement in order to download them? Anyone know the cost of it??

looks like the latest version of the IP PLUS is c2500-is-l.123-26.bin

Last edited:
With Cisco no matter what you are downloading, you need to have active login profile on the website. It should be free, I suppose my question is why update the IOS, as far as a ccna is involved, we always just had to know the basics, the versions dont matter, because 2501 series are outdated anyways.

In either case Im only running like 12.1 on my 2500 series and thats what I use for my active internet connection. I would just leave the version be if you dont really need to upgrade it.

i guess the newest adds IPv6 stuff in which is on the latest tests.... like i said i havent even turned these on yet so it might be ok

and the basic login doesnt get access to the downloads you need a service agreement i guess? ive got a normal cisco login but still wont let you download

I guess I would do the memory up, then just boot them. But I dont know that a 2500 series supports ipv6?

Not sure. If worse came to worse I would just call cisco and tell them your a student and you need the latest software. Has worked for me in the past.

I would at least put on 12.3 and, 12.4 if you can. 12.4 is the one that supports IPv6.

I doubt the 2500's support IPv6. You are correct, you need to have a support contract to obtain an IOS from Cisco; however, it is possible to download IOS's elsewhere.

That lab is pretty outdated. Ideally, you'd have all 3640s or 2600XMs (or Dynamips). For switches, you want nothing older than 2950s and 3550s.

If I am not mistaken, you need to have a valid Smartnet contract for each device you wish to download IOS upgrades for. Given that those devices are end-of-life, I'm pretty sure you cannot get any Smartnet contracts for them. Cisco used to allow you to download the last releases (not anything new, just whatever release was out at the time the product went out of support) of IOS for end-of-life devices. Not sure if they still do that.

That lab is pretty outdated. Ideally, you'd have all 3640s or 2600XMs (or Dynamips). For switches, you want nothing older than 2950s and 3550s.

according to the site its enough for the CCNA 640-802 which is the current test right now

The site that's trying to sell it to you? Shocking.

Sure, it will be enough to get by for the CCNA, but there will be command difference in the older code. It'd be like studying for a cert with Windows 95.

There is very little IPv6 on the CCNA tests. I seriously just took the ICND tests 2 weeks ago. The most we had to know were things like rules for valid IPv6 addresses, like loopback, or where global address range starts, and proper formatting (i.e. where a :: is valid or not), and how they are gonna implement IPv6 over IPv4 (tunneling modes... names only, not any config). Unless its changed in the last two weeks, you will *not* need to know how to *configure* anything in IPv6.

Back