Cisco ASA Remote VPN Question.

Database

Detroit Redbirds!!!
I'm not super familiar with Cisco ASA's more-so their routers and switches.

I have a client that is currently using a Sonicwall Remote Access unit for SSL VPN connectivity from client machines. They are wanting to move to a Cisco solution.

It looks like an ASA is the best choice for a VPN endpoint for these connections, these will be connections made from a VPN client on a Windows/Mac laptop. Can I setup an ASA with just a single interface connected to the private network and NAT the public IP through the firewall. I won't be using the firewall portion of the ASA at all, just the VPN portion. I ask because that is how the current setup is and it'll save me having to get a new interface on router from the ISP.

Most things I've found refer to the inside/outside interfaces on the ASA.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Yes you can. I had a similar setup at home for a few years. Was a glorified VPN endpoint. I forwarded port 443 to it from my main router.

I can't recommend ASA's any more for firewalls, but their VPN client is still top notch so that's a good plan. If you have a Cisco router, you can also setup AnyConnect to run on that too, depending on the version. 'Might require a license.

Back