Choosing a good HSF

DoomD

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 26, 2007
Messages
137
Today i realised that this stock hsf just wont cut it.Especially when it got a little hot in the house today and the computer just shut off while running a game.I realise that keeping a good ambient temperature is key but there are times in florida when the heat just creaps up on you.So i am looking for a hsf that will keep my e8200 cool at all times.First this is what i have.CM-690 case, DFI DK T2RS P35 MB.I think that about all thats needed to know for a good recomadation.Second, ease of install will be important for me since this is my first build and i dont have any experience in installing a hsf aside from the stock one.I dont have a max budget but i wont be doing any super serious ocing so it doesnt have to be the best just something good for the money.I will take all the suggestions i can get.
 
frostytech.com tends to have the most up to date reviews and tests of heatsinks. I think the current trend is the performance people are getting out of the Direct Heat Pipe heatsinks, such as the Xigmatek s1238. Rather than the heatpipes fitted into a solid block, the heatpipes are flattened on the bottom and sit directly on your core, providing surprisingly good results despite the strange design. They'll all be a pain to install, most require the removal of your motherboard... make sure you follow best practices for applying thermal paste etc... and you'll be good to go!
 
I would recommend the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. I just got one of these and its great so far, keeps my Q9450 around 50C on full load @ stock and 58C @ 3.6GHz. Installation didn't require removal of the mobo but it does use those annoying pin locking mounts.
 
Oh i didnt even think to ask this but will it fit on my MB?And how do you apply the thermal paste since it doesnt have a flat bottom?
 
You put the thermal paste into the gaps between the heat pipes and the bottom, as well as little lines on thermal paste in the middle of the heat pipes.
 
Another quick question.How do i remove the thermal paste that is on the cpu from the stock cooler?Also should i use the thermal paste that comes with the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 or should i get some artic silver 5 or something?
 
Yes, make sure to clean off the old thermal paste first. You probably want to buy some real stuff, AS5 will do you right. I used OCZ Freeze on my last build, seems pretty good too.
 
I am using a Zalman 8500E LED cooler and I am so far really impressed, not only does it look great at night (big blue LED around the fan centre makes a nice glow around my room, case has clear side!) but it works quite efficiently! Not too much noise and the fan is adjustable in speed anyhow, idling my cores sit around 40 degrees Celsius, under load it doesn't go anywhere abouve 48-49 degrees Celsius. Room for overclocking my E8500? Maybe in the future I just don't want to hurt it yet it is only 2 weeks old!
 
I am using a Zalman 8500E LED cooler and I am so far really impressed, not only does it look great at night (big blue LED around the fan centre makes a nice glow around my room, case has clear side!) but it works quite efficiently! Not too much noise and the fan is adjustable in speed anyhow, idling my cores sit around 40 degrees Celsius, under load it doesn't go anywhere abouve 48-49 degrees Celsius. Room for overclocking my E8500? Maybe in the future I just don't want to hurt it yet it is only 2 weeks old!

What is the ambient temp?
 
I am using a Zalman 8500E LED cooler and I am so far really impressed, not only does it look great at night (big blue LED around the fan centre makes a nice glow around my room, case has clear side!) but it works quite efficiently! Not too much noise and the fan is adjustable in speed anyhow, idling my cores sit around 40 degrees Celsius, under load it doesn't go anywhere abouve 48-49 degrees Celsius. Room for overclocking my E8500? Maybe in the future I just don't want to hurt it yet it is only 2 weeks old!

do you mean 9500? never heard of an 8500.
 
oh ok.Well i decided to go with the XIG.I read that you should apply the thermal paste to the heat pipes so i guess i will do that.But I still would like to know from those that have the DFI DK t2rs if there is any issue installing this cooler?And can you install it vertically or horizontal?Either way hopefully if i install this right this will make it so i can actually use this computer to play games.Cause right now when it goes under load with extracting a file or playing a game like UE3 the pc shuts off in about 5 minutes.Its really starting to make me angry cause idle is 38C for each core.Anyway i will post again and tell the results.
 
Back
Top