Chipset heatsink question

YamahaAlex37

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
1,775
I have a a8n-sli mobo, and the northbridge chip fan has been making wierd noises lately, so I ordered this heatsink and just installed it:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835118214

It's kind of a loose fit, and the old fan looked like it rested up against the entire chipset, while this one looks like it leaves a gap, and the only part touching is the silver square with the paste on it. The design is kind of screwy, and if I push it down it will re-position a little crooked.

Is the silver part with paste the only part the heatsink needs to touch or do you think the heatsink is doing its job?
 
The entire chipset should be covered by the heatsink, you don't want to have parts of it exposed to the air.

If you can, while your PC is running, does the new heatsink get hot? Does the exposed area get hot?

If there is not enough pressure on the heatsink to force it onto the chipset then I would suggest using the springs and some zip ties. You wan't a snug and tight fit.
 
The heatsink gets very hot, and the surrounding area seems pretty warm.
These pictures will show you the gap I'm talking about.

6f2150b872.jpg

7b573b21b2.jpg
 
Is all of the actual "black" part, the actual "chip/chipest" covered by the heatsink?
 
Yes, the middle part which I think is silver not black, Is completely covered by the heatsink.
 
Then it is working the way it is intended. To improve the cooling you can:

A) Replace the stock goo/thermal pad/thermal paste with arctic silver or ceramique.
B) Add a fan blowing on to heatsink or make sure that area of the mobo gets good airflow.
C) Make sure the heatsink is tightened down and has a snug fit.
 
Only the die of the chipset (the square in the middle as you describe it) needs to be covered by the heatsink. The rest is negligible.
 
Those little Zalmans do a pretty good job. If the heatsink is hot, then it's doing its' job and pulling heat away from the chipset. If it was cold to the touch, after the rig has been running for some time, then I'd be concerned. Sounds like you got it right.
 
Back
Top