• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Chieftec 420W sucks?

albireo77

n00b
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
3
Hi,

It all started with my brand new card leadtek 6600gt PCIE. After installing nvidia drivers I received many artifacts (pink dots, text distortions etc.) in 2D. I couldn't ran any 3D applications (farcry, hl2) at all. I try out many drivers and even exchanged this leadtek for another one. And... it didn't help!!! Problem still exists. I started to look for a culprit and I suspect my PSU at the moment. I noticed that 12V is in fact 11.6 - 11.8V, mainly 11.6V. Don't you think that for this manufacturer it's scandalous? Could this be the origin for my troubles with video card? To measure voltage I used EasyTune 5, shipped with Gigabyte mainboard.

Hardware:
Prescott 2.8 LGA 775
Gigabyte GA-8I915P-Duo Intel 915P
2x256 PC3200 TwinMos Dual Channel
WD Caviar 80GB 7200
Leadtek 6600GT PCIE 128M
PSU Chieftec 420W
Software:
WinXP + SP2
 
It's a generic PSU, what more do you expect? Those Prescott CPUs are quite power hungry. It'd be best to invest in a nice ATX12V v2.0 power supply before anything else happens.
 
Back
Top