Cheapest XP Pro?

intense

n00b
Where is the best place to buy XP Pro? I'm not a student so I can't get the student discount.
Thanks

OEM copy online.. you'll have to buy hardware with it, but a cd audio cable suffices..

Most people would normally steer you towards Newegg first; it's currently at $143 plus shipping there. I got lucky and bought my copy of XP Pro for $145, shipping included, on eBay, but it's too easy these days to get ripped off

The key to finding a cheap copy of Windows XP (any version) is by purchasing the OEM version, which is the full version of the software that Microsoft sells to computer manufacturers at a discount. Keep in mind though that if you buy an OEM version from a store like Newegg, you have to buy some hardware in addition to it.

also, technically the OEM versions are linked to the hardware you buy it with. Typically, it's an entire computer system. So if you were to put that copy on a new computer, you would be violating the EULA.

This is the difference with the retail version, where you can install it on any computer you want, but only 1 at a time.

since you're buying it OEM with something like a cable, it's easy enuff to move that cable around, and still technically not violate the EULA. Of course, I haven't heard how MS handles this if they challenge you needing to re-activate XP after a massive hardware change..

Barnaby,

You have some misinformation there about how OEM licensing works with MS software.

First, there is a certain list of qualifying hardware parts that a reseller must adhere to when selling OEM copies, I will edit this and post the link once I find it again, but I can tell you that an audio CD does not qualify.

Second, the OEM license is tied to the motherboard, not any other part of the computer. You can in effect replace every single part of the computer *except* the motherboard and still be legal.

SJConsultant said:
Second, the OEM license is tied to the motherboard, not any other part of the computer. You can in effect replace every single part of the computer *except* the motherboard and still be legal.

are you speaking specifically about windows xp and product activation? because otherwise a motherboard upgrade would violate the OEM EULA. i remember the big discussion when XP was still whistler concerning WPA had alot to do with what critical components would be the determining factor in a re-activation case. i remember the network card had alot to do with it as well as the motherboard.

SJConsultant said:
Barnaby,

You have some misinformation there about how OEM licensing works with MS software.

First, there is a certain list of qualifying hardware parts that a reseller must adhere to when selling OEM copies, I will edit this and post the link once I find it again, but I can tell you that an audio CD does not qualify.

If that's the case, then Newegg and almost all other retailers are breakin the law. They all suggest buying a cdrom audio cable to meet the hardware requirement. Most of the times they have a deal, and you'll get the cable for free.

yeah, i have to agree that this OEM license requirement thing is always a point of confusion. i'm also to understand this is such a point of confusion that microsoft actually sends a legal team out to give seminars to retailers, wholesalers and online merchents as to what they can do with their bulk OEM purchases of microsoft software.

thedude42 said:
are you speaking specifically about windows xp and product activation? because otherwise a motherboard upgrade would violate the OEM EULA. i remember the big discussion when XP was still whistler concerning WPA had alot to do with what critical components would be the determining factor in a re-activation case. i remember the network card had alot to do with it as well as the motherboard.

This applies to all OEM Operating systems that Microsoft provides. The license is tied to the first system motherboard it is installed on.

Whether the OS requires activation or not is irrelevant.

Barnaby said:
If that's the case, then Newegg and almost all other retailers are breakin the law. They all suggest buying a cdrom audio cable to meet the hardware requirement. Most of the times they have a deal, and you'll get the cable for free.

This is true, until enough resellers complain, then Newegg as well as others will continue to get away with it.

The_Terminator said:
I have had great success with www.directdeals.com.

They are totally legit, have free shipping, etc.
check out XP Pro with integrated sp2 for $139 by clicking here.

Yeah they are legit after they got reported. :p They used to sell legit stuff as well as illegal stuff like the individual license stickers. And for the newegg cable OEM thing, there's a difference between whats eligible to buy an OEM copy and what that copy ends up being tied to. I believe it is the motherboard that it is tied to, but it doesn't have to be a motherboard purchase to validate the OEM buy. If I remember correctly they kept it vague on purpose and its anything that is required for a PC to work.

So if you score an OEM copy, and one day you upgrade your whole rig, what happens when it needs to be re-activated? Does MS deny you the activation?

If that's the case, better to just buy the retail version so you don't have this problem.

Barnaby said:
So if you score an OEM copy, and one day you upgrade your whole rig, what happens when it needs to be re-activated? Does MS deny you the activation?

If that's the case, better to just buy the retail version so you don't have this problem.

As per the OEM license, it is tied to the first motherboard it is installed on. You can change any component except the motherboard and reactivate fine, but as soon as you tell them you swapped motherboards, Microsoft does not have to reactivate your software.

Now this is how its supposed to work as per the EULA and OEM license, what MS does in practice is a whole different story as people here on the [H] have reactivated OEM copies even after a mobo change.

I'm just telling you how it's supposed to work just in case you get an MS rep who plays things by the book.

Barnaby said:

They could,, Now we all know it doesnt happen but when you install it its tied to that chassis( because we all put the sticker on right?) and motherboard, replacing a mobo due to defect with the same mobo dosent violate the agreement. but upgrading does.. Now how would Ms know that it isnt a replacement and you were forced into an upgrade because they dont make your old board anylonger? well they dont and thats why you tell them its a replacement if you need to call and reactivate

Heres a link that makes it clearer
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

Also some of you will beable to get here
http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=553060

and for those that cant

The Do's and Don'ts of getting a genuine Windows® license on a new PC.

Do build new PC's preinstalled with genuine Microsoft® OEM Windows software.

Do make sure your customers aren't running unlicensed or incorrectly licensed Microsoft® software.

Don't use Volume License media to install the initial Microsoft Windows license on a new PC. Microsoft® Volume License Agreements offer operating system upgrades only.

Don't transfer OEM software from one computer system to another. OEM software licenses can not be transferred from one computer system to another, even if the computer system on which it was originally installed is no longer in use. The end-user license agreement, which is granted to the end-user by the System Builder, specifies that the OEM System Builder license can not be transferred from the original machine to another PC. The System Builder is required to provide end-user support for the Windows license. A System Builder can not support a license that has been moved from a PC they manufactured to one that they did not - this is a fundamental reason why OEM System Builder licenses can't be transferred.

How to provide genuine Windows on New PCs
The easiest and most economical way for your customers to acquire Windows on a new PC is to purchase it preinstalled when they buy their new machine. This way, they'll be up and ready to run Windows when they take their new machine home or to the office. Do your customers a favor by preinstalling genuine Windows with new PCs-it will make their lives easier and they'll thank you for it!

One common misconception is that if you are a Microsoft Volume License Customer you can use your volume license media to install the initial full Windows license on your new PC. It's important to understand that volume license agreements offer Windows Upgrades only — not full Windows licenses — therefore you need to get your initial Windows license when you purchase your new machine — or via the retail channel. This holds true for all academic volume license agreements too — no full Windows license is available through any academic volume license program. These are the only ways to get a FULL Windows license. A volume license (VL) agreement offers Windows upgrades — for example, you can use a VL agreement to upgrade a machine from Windows 2000 to Windows XP — but not to install the initial Windows license on a new machine. If your customers are under the false impression that a VL agreement covers a full Windows license, please advise them otherwise. If they use their VL agreement for this initial full Windows license — they will not own the legal license to run Windows on their new PCs.

Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine — even if that machine is no longer in use. The end-user license agreement, which is granted to the end-user by the System Builder, specifies that the OEM System Builder license can not be transferred from the original machine to another PC.

The System Builder is also required to provide end-user support for the Windows license. A System Builder can not support a license that has been moved from a PC they manufactured to one that they did not — this is a fundamental reason why OEM System Builder licenses can't be transferred. If they request a "naked" PC and are planning to transfer an old OEM operating system license to the new machine — they will not have a legal license to run Windows on this new machine.

I have installed my xp home on my old system, and when I COMPLETELY rebuilt my system from the ground up, I reactiveated online just fine. You shouldn't have any trouble

tiraides said:
Most people would normally steer you towards Newegg first; it's currently at $143 plus shipping there. I got lucky and bought my copy of XP Pro for $145, shipping included, on eBay, but it's too easy these days to get ripped off

The key to finding a cheap copy of Windows XP (any version) is by purchasing the OEM version, which is the full version of the software that Microsoft sells to computer manufacturers at a discount. Keep in mind though that if you buy an OEM version from a store like Newegg, you have to buy some hardware in addition to it.

y would u buy an OS from an auction? the one thing i WOULDNT buy from an auction

and odds are if u need an os then ull need a fan / 4 pin extension cable or something so the $2 shouldnt be that big of a deal

AMD[H]unter said:
I have installed my xp home on my old system, and when I COMPLETELY rebuilt my system from the ground up, I reactiveated online just fine. You shouldn't have any trouble

your only allowed one online activation after purchase then after that u have to call for a new key which they give u no prob if u tell em u upgraded

hulksterjoe said:
They could,, Now we all know it doesnt happen but when you install it its tied to that chassis( because we all put the sticker on right?) and motherboard, replacing a mobo due to defect with the same mobo dosent violate the agreement. but upgrading does.. Now how would Ms know that it isnt a replacement and you were forced into an upgrade because they dont make your old board anylonger?

Technically according to Microsoft's own website, replacing the motherboard with the exact same make and model constitutes a new computer for the end user unless the mobo was replaced under a system builder's warrenty period.

"Q. Can a PC with OEM Windows XP have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer and the end user may maintain the license for the original Microsoft® OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard fails and is replaced under warranty, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA. The EULA is a set of usage rights granted to the end-user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on for that particular PC. The System Builder is required to support that license the software on that individual PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PC with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original System Builder, therefore, can not be expected to support this new PC that they in effect, did not manufacture."

MS is constantly changing their FAQs and what is "legal". For instance about a month ago, there was a FAQ where it had a finite time period (120 days) in which if the motherboard was replaced it was OK. But if the mobo was replaced after the 120 days, a new license was required even if it was the same make and model of motherboard.

rusek said:
Except fear of eternal damnation for lying.

;)

And its an upgrade so he'll have to produce an older version of Windows to validate before the install will continue.

OldPueblo said:
And its an upgrade so he'll have to produce an older version of Windows to validate before the install will continue.

I have about half a dozen Dell Win98 unopened discs laying around, that would work right? Cause all you have to do is pop in the upgrade CD and start installing, the install will only ask you to put the 98 disc in and then it will kick it back out and ask for the upgrade disc again, so it can continue with the install of XP. Or am I missing something?

Tiny said:
I have about half a dozen Dell Win98 unopened discs laying around, that would work right? Cause all you have to do is pop in the upgrade CD and start installing, the install will only ask you to put the 98 disc in and then it will kick it back out and ask for the upgrade disc again, so it can continue with the install of XP. Or am I missing something?

No your right, that's generally the way it works. Many don't know about that though and get a nice surprise when they get asked to produce their old disk. :D They didn't realize the word "upgrade" in the title really meant just that.

Back