Cheap & Quiet PSU Suggestions for A64 System

Angryguy

n00b
I built myself a nice new system a few weeks ago, but I'm still having some problems with it. That includes some unexplained crashes of IE and windows. I've got no idea what the cause of it is, but a few people on other boards have said that I should upgrade my PSU. I also have some issues with the CPU temp being reported high, but I think that's just a glitch in the BIOS and I'll buy some more fans anyway. I have no intent to overclock.

First off, I was told by one person that for AMD64 processors I need "at least 20a on the 12v line" while the PSU I have only gives 12a I think. Is that true? Either way I assume that (especially once I upgrade my vid-card) that a better PSU would be a good investment. I would just prefer not to spend a lot of money on one if I don't have to. The system is going in my room though, so I also want something that is quiet.

I have been looking at this Enermax NoiseTaker or this EnerMax . There is also another NoiseTaker available for 10 dollars less that's 420 instead of 470W. I am assuming that the first one would be the better one, but am I wrong? Are there any other PSU that might be a better usage of my money (aka cheaper and just as good for my needs)? I'm probably going to order it either tonight or tommorow from newegg unless I find something better.

Thanks.

System Specs:
Case: Aspire X-Dreamer 2 /w Default 350 W PSU
Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8T NEO-FSR Motherboard
512MB DDR400 Kingston Memory
120GB WD 7200RPM HD
NEC Dual Layer DVD Burner
LiteOn CDROM
ATI AIW Radeon 9000Pro [To be upgraded at the end of the year]

The first one you linked is the one I purchased. It offers plenty of 12 volt amps, along 2 seperate rails. Its a decent PSU - but check zipzoom also, they offer free 2 day shipping whereas newegg does not. Itll be close in the final cost.

As for your current psu only having 12 amps on the 12 volt, that sounds quite low - dangerously so.

I would recommend startinig your journey on Ice Czar's post: here.

There's a nice calculator where you can get real amp numbers, or at least a better guestimate then some dude on the amd forums telling you to upgrade.

The PSU is the most difficult part of the computer to purchase imo - its usually very specific to a comp's needs, and it requires researching whats going on rather than just spending 10 bucks on a 6000000 watt psu on ebay and bragging about it on the OC forums. Not to mention futureproofing is not straightforward.

You're on the right track though thinking about amperes instead of raw wattage.

Back