Charter-modem-router-pc- not connecting to some things

CyByte

Gawd
If I attempt to load runescape the java installer just sits and eventually times out.

I have charter high speed 3Mb. The home network works fine with 3 computers running windows XP.

The router is a Linksys WRT54G, latest firmware. I have tried turning the firewall off and on with no effect. I have also turned the firewall off and on in Norton.

The internet works fine for seemingly everything, downloading movies from foxnews.com, IM programs, windows update is even just fine.

I have disabled block anonymous interent requests, filter multicast, and filter internet NAT redirection (whatever that is.

IP address are automatically assigned 192.168.1.xxx is what it always assigns.

I would like a constant one so I can use the DMZ feature for video games but every time I set my pc to 192.168.1.something higher then everyone else say 5 or 25 I can connect to the network, but the internet does not work at all.

I will have questions for game hosting i'm sure, however I would RARELY do it. I have heard things about port forwarding and and triggering, however I see the settings in the router, but have no idea how to really use them.

My main concern is why some things are timing out when all firewalls are turned off either using it plugged in with a RJ45 like mine or on the wireless like my parents laptops are?

It sounds like when you manually set your IP address you're not setting your DNS server addresses. Those get assigned automatically with your DHCP, but when you manually set your IP you have to manually set the DNS's too. What you need to do is let your router assign the IP, then under the connection status (double clicking on the connection in the Network Connections window), click on the Support tab, then click Details. There should be two dns servers assigned there, just write them down and type them in when you manually assign your IP and you should be set!

Back