Changing Physical (MAC) Address of PC or Router

I have an issue. I am currently a college student living in the dorms. In order to have our computer hardware "accepted" for internet use, we have to register our computers MAC addresses on a system and then go through some verification steps.

I would like to set up my Linksys WRT54G for use in my dorm. I was wondering if there is any way to change the MAC address of my PC to match that of the router. Or, is there anyway for me to change the MAX address of the router to match the PC. Currently I have the Linksys firmwire but would be open to change. I appreciate all input.

MODS: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, seemed like the best fit.

Probably in the WAN settings page on the router configuration; that'll mask your router as your PC. That's the smarter way to do it, after registering your PC the first time. Rutgers had something similar, so we all figured it out very quickly.

If you do decide to mask your PC instead, take a look at Nate True's MacShift. It's a small, free (feel free to donate to him) program that changes it through the registry, as long as you're using WinXP (and maybe 2000).

If you're using Linux, you probably know more about its abilities than I. :D

A picture is worth a thousand words, if you can't figure it out past this, please let us know :p

linksys8mv.jpg

Back