Changing PC name, remove PC from domain first?

Do you have to remove the PC from the Domain first to change the pc name?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's a domain?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Grimmda

2[H]4U
Back in the old days (pre Windows XP) you couldn't change a PC's name unless you removed it from the domain first. (if it was joined to one that is)

But I came accross a training room full of PC's I had to change their computer names. So for kicks instead of removing it from the Domain first I just decided to rename it and it worked. Reboot and you're done. Otherwise you have to reset the name and dump it into a workgroup, then reboot and log in as a local account and re-join it and reboot again.

I've heard from a server guy here that you shouldn't change it without removing it first because the Kerberos ticket will corrupt and it will have to be re-joined at some point.

So what's the thought here or experiences. Post below.

You should have absolutely no problems, as long as you have local admin and the permissions to edit the computer object the rename will work fine. There are many official ways to do this ranging from netdom.exe on xp to WMI API commands to use in your programming / scripting language of choice.

Foolishness... I do this/have done this MANY times... you don't think AD is smart enough to figure this out??

Back