Changing from 192 to 10 nets.

Change your routers "LAN" interface to something in the 10's network, like 10.0.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0

Change your computers IP address to something else in the 10's network, like 10.0.0.2 mask 255.255.255.0

Now log back into the router using its new 10 network IP, and ensure DHCP is set up to serve out the 10 network IPs, set your cpu to use dhcp and refresh.

Exercise complete.

If your NetGear even supports it. Many consumer products are hard coded to the 192.168.1.x subnet.

If your NetGear even supports it. Many consumer products are hard coded to the 192.168.1.x subnet.

All of the ones I have ever used (every major brand) all have a default, usually 192.168.1.0/24 or 192.168.0.0/24, but all of them could be changed.

Most routers only support private class C networks (192.168.X.X) due to the fact that supporting a private class A would probably overwhelm them.

What's your reasoning in changing your address scheme to a private class A?

I was able to switch just fine. I don't have a reason. I just wanted to play around. The changes I made worked great. Now, If I want to continue, I just have to static my pc's to it.

Most routers only support private class C networks (192.168.X.X) due to the fact that supporting a private class A would probably overwhelm them.

10 hosts is 10 hosts, whether it's on Class A network or Class C network. Home routers will work fine with a Class A. It's really the number of hosts using that router that makes the difference. As far as addressing goes, all routers see it the same way: binary.

Well unless they are expecting people to fully max out a class A with what, some 16 million addresses where as the class C can only do 254.

Edit: I just checked all my linksys routers and I could change them all but I know I've seen older models that couldn't change. I'll post if I find out. I think I got rid of my old Netgear for that reason but I don't have a model number.

10 hosts is 10 hosts, whether it's on Class A network or Class C network. Home routers will work fine with a Class A. It's really the number of hosts using that router that makes the difference. As far as addressing goes, all routers see it the same way: binary.

seanx said:
Well unless they are expecting people to fully max out a class A with what, some 16 million addresses where as the class C can only do 254.

Morf...I agree with you, but the point I was making was more along the lines of with what Sean said. Next thing you know you have Johnny IT calling linksys telling them that he's having routing problems with his 15 site WAN of linksys routers. Why give users the option to screw things up?

Back