Changing c: to d: and vice versa?

Canon20d

Weaksauce
Can it be done in windows? I did a HDclone on my 80gb drive to the Faster/newer 160 drive and all is well, will boot into it and works ok, but all the files are on F, because when i formatted it, i saw C: first, then added the cd rom, dvdrom, and then the HD (dont ask me) so my problem is
my partition is F: and all the files need to be on C:
how can i fix this? Will Partition magic do it? Because its only in windows that the drives are assigned a letter no? (otherwise the 160 on master pri ide would be renamed to c:) damn name-able drives in XP :p never woulda happened with NT4 lol

ps: happened to see into a server room @ BestBuy today and theyre still running NT4... Wonder why ;)

No. This isn't supported and will probably not work. A lot of stupid applications hardcode the install path, so if you change the drive letter out from underneath them they refuse to work ever again.

I was snooping around in Partition magic changing things on my laptop drive and i saw somethign that said "change drive letters" im hoping this will solve my delima, just rename F: to C: and move C: to something else

Canon20d said:
I was snooping around in Partition magic changing things on my laptop drive and i saw somethign that said "change drive letters" im hoping this will solve my delima, just rename F: to C: and move C: to something else
As Ranma_Sao said above, you can't change the drive letter of the system volume.

To be exact, it can be done (with some registry hacking), but it's not at all a good idea and will very probably give you interesting problems.

HHunt said:
To be exact, it can be done (with some registry hacking), but it's not at all a good idea and will very probably give you interesting problems.
Bingo. You *can* do it, but you likely won't *want* to.

after some battling with partition magic, its all running fine now, since i had cloned c:->f: before, changing f:->c: made windooze happy since it was now the master + everything was pointing to c:
only problem is the the slave drive is Sloooow (>23Mb sustained) which is down from where it used to be 40mbps, but the burst speeds are about the same
What could i check? cable? (wouldnt burst speeds be affected then?)

No, it is absolutely not possible without complete reinstallation of windows and other partition trickery, and even then, a C: will still have to always exist. C: is always the 'disk' that has the boot information on it. No avoiding it.

i dont think people realize im not trying to boot from F: and make it all work, i wanted to make my f: become my c: - i did it and it worked fine..

Canon20d said:
i dont think people realize im not trying to boot from F: and make it all work, i wanted to make my f: become my c: - i did it and it worked fine..

props to you then.

Whatsisname said:
No, it is absolutely not possible without complete reinstallation of windows and other partition trickery, and even then, a C: will still have to always exist. C: is always the 'disk' that has the boot information on it. No avoiding it.

I hope I'm missing some context here, because otherwise you're dead wrong. :)

It only worked because it was a clone from an existing C drive install. Meaning, all the paths and such were already set for C:. This is a rare case, and with some mucking would be okay. It's not possible to do a manual XP install to an F: drive, and then expect to change it to C:.

Whatsisname said:
I was under the impression he wanted to boot off a disk other than C:

So was I.
My point, however, was that this works perfectly, and I've got the 2003 - installation on I: to prove it.

theres still a C:\ hanging around isnt there

HHunt said:
So was I.
My point, however, was that this works perfectly, and I've got the 2003 - installation on I: to prove it.

Back