Change/mask your mac address?

jctusmc03

Gawd
What's the simplest way to do this, I've searched on google and I've tried a few of them, they are however not working. Also, what is the best VPN service? Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:
Bare in mind that your mac address is only relevant and visible to your local subnet. So short of an application actually packaging up your mac address and transporting it to a remote host, there's usually little need to monkey with it.

Windows 7 64bit

Bare in mind that your mac address is only relevant and visible to your local subnet. So short of an application actually packaging up your mac address and transporting it to a remote host, there's usually little need to monkey with it.

Then I guess I mean your internal IP, or is it even possible to change that?

I would just like to change/mask my internal IP. I'm not really trying to accomplish anything, I would just like to know how it is done and everything. :D

I would just like to change/mask my internal IP. I'm not really trying to accomplish anything, I would just like to know how it is done and everything. :D
Well, then it'd dependent on your network and how addresses are handed out. I'm guessing you have a consumer level router, which is probably running dhcp. So a simple ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew will typically do it.

Note: This won't hide what you are doing online.

EDIT:

You said mask, which implies you want to hide your internal IP. A consumer level router does this with your public IP address, when you access public websites. Unless you employ some sort of VPN service, you will still be traceable. Even with a VPN, you are trusting the VPN service to not track your IP address(es).

If you are trying to mask your internal IP from internal hosts, you'll need to employ the same concepts to "mask" your IP address, but you will likely still be traceable.

I have Charter business, and therefore a business class router. Also, I'm using HMA Pro VPN for all of the internet traffic for my business.
So if you are already using them, and you trust them, why are you trying to further mask your information?

As has been said, it'd be best if you detailed what you are trying to accomplish.

Total anonymity on the internet, I suppose. The information my clients and I trade is sometimes very confidential, it would be cool if no one could trace where files are being downloaded to, and uploaded to via my connection. Once I figure all of this out correctly, I will be recommending they go through this process as well. I already have the separate clients using HMA Pro as well. I'm just wondering if there is any way to further this protection, or if that is it?

At some point your IP is on your packets. No way around it. Traffic has to get back to you.

Well, you can't really hide your internal (the 192.168.1.x) address.

The NAT software on your router is hiding the internal layout of your network from public view. All they see is one single IP address. It's also impossible to recover a MAC address over the Internet - as soon as it hits a router the MAC is gone (well, it gets changed).

If you're trying to transfer files securely, your best option is to set up a single VPN appliance, that you control, that will act as a hub. Using HMA just means all your traffic is getting routed through an untrusted third party.

If you want anonymity, then set up a private service over TOR. Better yet, tunnel VPN traffic over Tor.

Total anonymity on the internet, I suppose. The information my clients and I trade is sometimes very confidential, it would be cool if no one could trace where files are being downloaded to, and uploaded to via my connection. Once I figure all of this out correctly, I will be recommending they go through this process as well. I already have the separate clients using HMA Pro as well. I'm just wondering if there is any way to further this protection, or if that is it?
If the information you trade is confidential ( and/or worth a dollar amount ), then you should be looking at pushing the encryption as close to the application layer as possible. ie: pgp or it's variants. Ideally, you'd maintain control of said data by using a document protection scheme as well.

A good rule of thumb; once it leaves your network, it's outside of your control. Once it's on the internet, everyone can and will read it.

Well, you can't really hide your internal (the 192.168.1.x) address.

The NAT software on your router is hiding the internal layout of your network from public view. All they see is one single IP address. It's also impossible to recover a MAC address over the Internet - as soon as it hits a router the MAC is gone (well, it gets changed).

If you're trying to transfer files securely, your best option is to set up a single VPN appliance, that you control, that will act as a hub. Using HMA just means all your traffic is getting routed through an untrusted third party.

If you want anonymity, then set up a private service over TOR. Better yet, tunnel VPN traffic over Tor.

Okay, I will look into setting up a VPN for my clients and I to access, and I've heard of TOR but I've never really done research into it. What does it do exactly? TOR, and a HMA be used in conjunction as a cheaper alternative? Or should I just set up my own VPN somewhere and use TOR. I don't claim to be an expert in these things, and this is why I'm asking these questions. I'm guessing everyone in this subforum knows more about this than me, ha.

Edit: It appears TOR is just for browsing, not file transfer protection like I need.

Also, to the person above. It's things worth dollars, nothing on the illegal side or anything either.

Don't use HMA. Some random proxy site isn't going to be effective security because a sophisticated attacker can just use traffic analysis to figure out where you're connected.

Tor is an onion routing system. Anything that uses IP can be run over Tor. You can run an SSL VPN over tor because you can run any service over tor. Tor is most commonly used for browsing.

Tor works by routing your traffic through many, many different nodes (dicing up the streams, as well). This makes it very, very difficult to coordinate the datastream enough to try and predict who the original sender of the traffic is. Tor provides anonymity. It does not provide encryption or authentication. You need VPN software to provide encryption and authentication.

Configure an OpenVPN server as a Tor hidden service. This will give you authentication, encryption, and anonymity. Keep in mind that Tor is slow.

Use FTP, CIFS, whatever over the OpenVPN connection.

Back