Change local port

sparky3009

Gawd
I understand if you guys don't want to help me here, but I figured it's worth a shot.

I'm setting up a web/ftp server at my house right now... just getting it configured because I can get a dedicated section of a T1 line at work for it. I go to school and work after school, then get home at 9ish. Well I want to be able to configure my server while I'm between classes and at lunch on school and work, because I don't have enough time to do it at home.

I can access it perfectly at work. I have pretty much a direct link to the internet, so I don't need to worry about port forwarding.

At school, I am behind a proxy. I cannot access my pc at home through the SSH ports. I changed the server port (heard you get lots of auth attempts on the default port so I didn't want to mess with it), but that wouldn't make a difference to get through the proxy here. I can't even telnet (over any port) to any port on my computer.

Is there a way to change even the local telnet port so it uses, say, port 65000 going through the proxy instead of some other port?

**EDIT**
Also forgot to mention, I can type in the server ip and listening port in my browser at school, and it basically gives me a telnet response. Just tells me the OS running, and that it's an SSH server. I know I should be able to telnet to it (unless it's down) on literally any port though. I have my cable modem going to a wrt54gv5 going to a dlink dir615 going to the server. I set the dlink up on the linksys to be dmz so all ports are open... then just forwarded all the ports directly to my box... running a static ip... basically using it as a switch.

instead of turning the dmz on, turn off the dhcp server for the dlink dir615. Then all devices will be on one network and you will just have to worry about one nat. From there, just forward the port to the ip address of your file server.

dhcp is off on the dlink, it's basically acting as a switch. I can get to it from work fine but idk what's going on here. Port forwarding would work pretty much the same way, except dmz I'm pretty much just forwarding ALL the ports to the linux box right now because I'm testing out different types of servers and changing ports and I don't want to have to re-configure port forwarding everytime I change a port.

Back