Certifications just got more important?

zacdl

[H]ard|Gawd
I guess the USAF is mandating certifications for all employees now.

They are requiring the Network+ and Security+ certifications for any new employees, as well as current employees.
That means if someone employed by the USAF doesn't pass these within a year, they don't have a job anymore.

I would guess anyone with good knowledge shouldn't have a problem with this, but some folks are just bad test-takers.

At any rate- it will start setting some standards.

I don't have any article to link to, as this is fairly new policy that just came out this past week.

I think some branches of the US Govt has required Security+ for employees working with sensitive material for sometime... but anyways, I'm doing Security+ for the hell of it.

Its a watered down version of what they should be doing. Any job requiring a Security+ in reality should pretty much require a CISSP or CSSP IMO. But since a lot of people would never pass such exams, and they don't want to end up losing too many people (which would raise rates), they're only requiring the bare minimum so some guy high up the chain can get to say "See, see, our people are certified experts in their fields."

Couldn't agree more Bob....

Good IT people are starting to get harder and harder to find. This is a good thing for us. I hope to see rates climb back eventually.

A company that I used to work for tried pulling that crap on me. They wanted me to get A+ certified (actually they wanted ALL IT people to get it). Come to find out, they worked out some repair discount on all company laptops if all of their IT staff was A+ certified.

Needless to say I don't work there anymore...

I'm sorry, but if you can't pass the A+, you have no business taking a screwdriver to a PC.

I'm sorry, but if you can't pass the A+, you have no business taking a screwdriver to a PC.

While I see both ways just about equally, I tend to agree with this comment.

The sad thing about it is, it is so easy to take the A+.
Sure, you can be a great test-taker, know nothing about computers, and pass it.
But anyone I know couldn't pass it to save their lives (ones that know zippo about PCs).

I still think the A+ serves as a benchmark though, and isn't "useless".
Gets you in the door to a bigger IT organization (after that it is solely based on what you actually know... a good thing), and it serves as a benchmark for smaller companies that don't know much about computers.

It has its place.
I think the A+ tests you on older, more worthless crap IMO. Luckily they are changing it to become harder. They are updating the test itself, and adding a "specialty" area that tests you more heavily in a certain area. It takes 3 tests now ;)
Raising the prices is sure to keep out people that don't know anything from just "giving it a shot". Hopefully it increases the quality of certs.

Network+ seems to be a bit more valuable, probably because it isn't as common. And like I just mentioned- the cost is higher= people that are actually interested will take it.

Security+ I really can't say much about, as I really have no clue about that one... I do know it deals with encryption, permissions, etc though.

Yeah, I'm sure Steve Wozniak could have benefited from the knowledge gained from an A+ study course... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sure Steve Wozniak could have benefited from the knowledge gained from an A+ study course... :rolleyes:

Don't be a troll. Steve Wozniak pre-dates the A+ by about 20 years. I will admit, they've added more networking and enterprise-type info (RAID, etc), but look at these sample questions (from http://certification.comptia.org/resources/practice_test.aspx)

The standard connector used for an UTP Ethernet connection is:
A. DB-9.
B. RJ-45.
C. BNC.
D. RJ-11.

A technician needs to test a power supply but does not have a dedicated power supply tester. Which of the following tools could be used to test a power supply's output?
A. Digital multi-meter
B. Loop-back plug
C. RJ-45 crimper
D. CAT5 tester

An angry customer has called and is upset about a delay in the repair of their computer. After answering the phone, which of the following actions should a technician take FIRST?
A. Place the customer on hold.
B. Listen to the customer's concerns.
C. Tell the customer that it is the part supplier's fault and provide the supplier's number.
D. Ask the customer to call back later to speak with a supervisor.

But, he could probably pass the A+ test with minimal studying... Doesn't mean he doesn't need a little brush up. :) But, I took it as he was saying "If you can't pass the exam, you shouldn't touch a PC". Didn't say much about actually studying. Just passing the test. Which, the A+ test is so very easy with basic knowledge of computers, I laughed when I was done with my exam. I don't look at the A+ very strongly after taking the exam. It should shows people that I took a very simple test.

I want to take my Security+ and Network+ and probably the new version of the HTI+ (DHTI+, I believe).

My problem with the A+ is that it isn't cost effective.

I don't want to waste out-of-pocket money to prove that I know square peg != round hole.

Plus, all of the interviewers I've ever had the pleasure of meeting (there's no such thing as a bad interview because you always walk away smarter) told me that they put little to no stock in A+ cert. If anything, they were looking for MCSE or CISCO certs, but even moreso than that, they wanted EXPERIENCE.

this is how we do it here

C. Tell the customer that it is the part supplier's fault and provide the supplier's number.

I don't want to waste out-of-pocket money to prove that I know square peg != round hole.

Plus, all of the interviewers I've ever had the pleasure of meeting (there's no such thing as a bad interview because you always walk away smarter) told me that they put little to no stock in A+ cert. If anything, they were looking for MCSE or CISCO certs, but even moreso than that, they wanted EXPERIENCE.

Amen brother! Preach on...

I've had a very successful IT career for the last 8 years without A+ certification and I plan on having another successful 8 years without A+ (well I might cheat and get my A+ because with A+/N+ you get to bypass one of the MCSA tests.....hahahaha)

You have any idea how cheap it is to take the A+? Most companies would foot the bill too.

Amen brother! Preach on...

I've had a very successful IT career for the last 8 years without A+ certification and I plan on having another successful 8 years without A+ (well I might cheat and get my A+ because with A+/N+ you get to bypass one of the MCSA tests.....hahahaha)

Take the A+. With it and the N+, you do get credit for a MCSA elective. You can pass the A+ with flying colors. Guaranteed if you know how to build a computer and install an OS. It costs more than the single Microsoft exam, though.

My A+ was paid for by my employer at the time, so I took it. I studied WAY TOO HARD for it. It was beginner questions. I have the A+, but I don't value it at all. If someone told me they were A+ certified so they had to know what they were doing, I'd be like "pfft. You know how to build a computer... Basic stuff.". It barely went into any diagnostics or troubleshooting. It was literally a joke.

I've seen free certification exams on the internet (Brainbench) that were more difficult that the A+. If you can get it for free, and you don't have the MCP/Cisco then go for it. It MIGHT get you in at Best Buy or a small computer shop. If you have your Cisco or MCP, you should already know everything on the A+ exam.

I guess the USAF is mandating certifications for all employees now.
All employees? Are you sure? Or just IT folks? Even then, it seems like a pretty massive waste of taxpayer money. Is it also required of contractors and vendors?

Take the A+. With it and the N+, you do get credit for a MCSA elective
Didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day.

All employees? Are you sure? Or just IT folks? Even then, it seems like a pretty massive waste of taxpayer money. Is it also required of contractors and vendors?
What do you think?

I don't know, but I would think the USAF would be wanting to certify all of their grounds keeping staff as well :rolleyes:

I guess I should have said all IT employees, but I really didn't think anyone would have been mistaken...

I guess I should have said all IT employees, but I really didn't think anyone would have been mistaken...

I'm not mistaken; I'm just unsure. Maybe it's all employees (which you said or implied multiple times). Maybe it's just IT folks. Maybe it's IT folks and engineering, and support too. Maybe it's not. You're the only one here who'd know, so I asked.

I'm not mistaken; I'm just unsure. Maybe it's all employees (which you said or implied multiple times). Maybe it's just IT folks. Maybe it's IT folks and engineering, and support too. Maybe it's not. You're the only one here who'd know, so I asked.

I'm not sure on the details, I don't know about it directly.

A friend of mine was the one that was told they were going with this new strategy- and that they had to get certified.

But it is for the IT department at least. I really don't see engineers required to get these certifications.

Ha freaking ha. I just found out I need to get my A+, Sec+, AND my CISSP since I'm an E-6 (all E-6 and above that work on the NOSC floor are required to get their CISSP). I can't complain though since these go hand in hand with my regular job.

:D Looks like they really ARE going up in importance (or at least to qualify you for a job).

Still as easy to pass, but nonetheless kicks some folks out.

Back