Center Channel speaker question...

MattyC

Gawd
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
797
This may not be the place to ask, as I am probably the only person using them for computer audio, but I have a 4.1 setup that I have had for years consisting for 4 Infinity Interlude IL-10s. I have always been on the lookout for a good center channel speaker, but have yet to find anything that really voice matches well. I would also prefer something that at least kinda looks well with the loudspeakers, but at this point I would take a solid voice match over looks.

I know the IL36C is a solid match in both looks and finish, but I have never been able to find one with the exception of some "sold as is" auctions which I never trust.
 
Well Crutchfield had a Infinity Primus C25 in their outlet store for $89 (down from $179), so I am going to give that a try. I guess I will post back with the results on the off chance that someone else ends up in a similar situation.

Looking at numbers and after reading a few reviews it sounds like the C25 can hold its own next to the larger Primus speakers, though the lack of a midrange has me a tad worried.
 
You may not notice a difference. My primus 250 mains are definitely not timbre matched to my HTD lvl 3 center and surrounds, but it fools me when I'm actually watching a movie.
 
They sell all the time on ebay, I have had great success with used speakers on ebay, I purchased an IL120s and it has served me well for nearly a year now. You aren't going to find anyone selling them new, I recommend not getting the primus, it is a pretty weak match for those speakers, the beta360 should do well though, it uses a very similar driver alignment to the IL36c and it also uses CMMD drivers so they will likely voice match well.
 
I am pretty happy with it for the price. It matches well and keeps up with the Interludes at low to medium volume levels, which is generally what I listen to. I really only noticed it getting outmatched when I really cranked it up. At higher volume levels it starts to sound somewhat flat and just plain lacking in range compared to the IL10s.

That said I will continue my search for a real center match, but this is more than enough for now.
 
Back
Top