CCNA Training Router

KevinO

[H]ard|Gawd
What model of Cisco router would be the best to get to train with? I prefer hands on etc as opposed to the virtual labs. I don't mind buying one off of E-bay. I just want to make sure I get all the features required that will help learn (and pass the CCNA exam).

Thanks

Two 2500's or 1 2500 and 1 2600. You will need to make sure the 2600 has a T1wic card in it. You will also need to get at least a 1900 switch for the vlan labs.

These guys have a pdf on lab suggestions. ciscokits.com

i just got 4 2500's and 2 2924's off ebay for my lab if you have any questions about ccna let me know im pretty far into my studies,

here is a great website for ccna info its got a good forum and tech labs and practice tests http://www.techexams.net/index.shtml

also look into getting the program Cisco packet tracer 4.0 its like the boson net sim but you have a mode where you can see the packets moving around the network and tons of other cool stuff.

you do not want the 1900 you want a 2900+ with a 12.0 enterprise edition OS to get all the IOS commands you will need for the ccna

both of the 2924's i got from ebay i got for like $85 each both came in perfect working condition

i used the sybex book, LearnKey video, and TestKing study guide for CCNA...sybex and cisco press for CCNP/CCIE along with the nuggets video training.

I have to admit that out of all methods, I got the most out of the video training. Some are better than others, but its a lot easier to learn something when a human being is talking to you, writing out examples, using analogies, relating it to the real world.

i would get the cisco press books and the sybex the cisco ones you want is this right here, from Wendell Odom,you get 2 books, wich covers the CCNA Intro exam and the other books covers the ICND exam these cisco press books are what you definitely want they are more thasn just study guide they cover everything you need to know for ccna and networking in general they are more than just a study guide it goes into detail explaining to you how everything works http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Official..._bbs_sr_1/102-4050919-7022531?ie=UTF8&s=books

the sybex study guide 5th edition is good also but i would look at it as more of a study guide it does not go into as much detail as the cisco press books but

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Certifie..._bbs_sr_2/102-4050919-7022531?ie=UTF8&s=books

i also plan to be getting the Exam Cram books since i have heard great stuff about them

as for traning videos i have the CBT Buggets and they are very good,

for network simulators i would look into the Boson network simulator and i just got this new one from Cisco called Cisco Packet Tracer 4.0 both are very awsome sims for the ccna

but remember nothing beats working with the real deal that why im building a badass cisco lab right now i have 4 2500 routers and 2 2924 switches, when you go on ebay make sure they are garanteed in working condition and running enterprise edition ISO 12.0 is what you want but most of my routers i got are 11.0 but remember you can always get some good practice upgraded your routers!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ohh yeah if you just want to get a few 2500's make sure you get at least one 2514 since it has 2 ethernet ports you can do some good practice with it setting up nat and using it as your cable modem router.

also you can easily set it up as a dhcp server for your network wich is also coverd in the ccna exam

any more questions just ask! :D

ohh yeah i forgot to mention GOOGLE! when you are researching a particular subject on your ccna google is great you can find all sorts of stuff on every subject of the ccna.

Thanks for all the great tips! Sorry for the late reply, but you people rock!!! I am getting very excited about the certification and finally being able to effectively study something I REALLY enjoy, as opposed to what my current profession presents.

--B33

brachy33 said:
Thanks for all the great tips! Sorry for the late reply, but you people rock!!! I am getting very excited about the certification and finally being able to effectively study something I REALLY enjoy, as opposed to what my current profession presents.

--B33

if you need a study partner let me know

Great info guys! I'm starting school in January to finish my BS in Internetworking Technology. So this thread helped me. Thanks to the OP for posting too!

brachy33 said:
Just purchased a 2924 switch with the ENT 12 OS. I'm hoping this will be a good start to my studies:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-2924-M-XL...256QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170047675481

Next: Should I find another one of these or try and get a router in addition to the switch??

Man, I'm excited to start messing with this hardware...

thats awsome, thats exactly what you need, you could have gotten it for cheaper and the smaller version without the addon slots but this way you know for sure it works,

yes if you are serious about the CCNA and getting into cisco get at least 1 more 2900 series switch so you can do everything, Etherchannel, trunking, vlans, intervlan routing, VTP , all that good stuff!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks AMD_Gamer!!! 10-4 on the recommendation. I will try and get another one of these then and ask the seller if he can cut a little bit of a deal if I get 2 of the 2924's.

brachy33 said:
Thanks AMD_Gamer!!! 10-4 on the recommendation. I will try and get another one of these then and ask the seller if he can cut a little bit of a deal if I get 2 of the 2924's.

if yu are really hardcore get 3 and play around with STP but i dont think its needed, im not sure how many questions on STP there are on the test

Back