CCNA Training Help

Soldier101

Gawd
I want to study and work with Cisco Switches. But I don't want to play around with the ones I have at work.

I was wondering what would be good emulators for cisco switches so that I can fully understand all layers of networking and switch/router configuration. Something that will give me a chance to learn without messing up something real world.

Thanks

Thanks Jay. I Googled and found it. Looks promising!

Do you have to pay for this or is it a free register setup?

*edit* looks like I can't use it because im not a member of an academy

depends on the price. I don't have much money though so it might not be possible. We have a bunch of old cisco equipment at work but it is SO LOUD and SO OLD. I'm not even sure if they work right.

depends on the price. I don't have much money though so it might not be possible. We have a bunch of old cisco equipment at work but it is SO LOUD and SO OLD. I'm not even sure if they work right.

What model are they?

you could maybe setup telnet or ssh and work from home.

I have a stack of about 6 total. I think it is a mix of switches and routers. We are also in the process of replacing 4 others with some 3com switches on our infrastructure overhaul. So those may be possible as well

packet tracer is good. as is gns3.

packet tracer's device list is rather limited but it does emulate switching.
gns3 is only limited to the ios images you "stumble" across. however it cannot emulate switching.

Dynamips/GNS3 can emulate switching, to a degree. L2IOU was just released, so it'd be your best bet.

For CCNA, Packet Tracer is okay. It's a simulator, not an emulator. So all the functionality is programmed into it, it's not like real gear. There is a real lack of functionality and it's buggy.

are the switching capabilities new? how do they work? how well do they work? i know the routers can be bridged to nic's and actually used. can the same be said for switches now?

No, not new. Switching is done with NM-ESW modules in the routers. It's pretty basic, but probably enough for the CCNA.

Again though, L2IOU would be the best bet for virtually labbing things at L2.

Here are the specs on the old equipment I have sitting next to me right now.

3 x 2500 series routers
3x Catalyst 2950 switches
1 x dell powerconnect 2494 switch

Here are the specs on the old equipment I have sitting next to me right now.

3 x 2500 series routers
3x Catalyst 2950 switches
1 x dell powerconnect 2494 switch

That would be a pretty good CCENT/CCNA lab. There are a few commands that the 2500's won't be able to do but nothing major.;

Back