CCNA question

Destonomos

[H]ard|Gawd
So I started busting into the offical cisco library books for the CCNA and I'm on the first book about 60ish pages in. A question I have is this...

When they talk about things that should be happening like commands in ipconfig and packet info and they show captures in wireshark should I be simulating this on my computer to get the experience. I've done it some years ago in lab when I was a sophmore (senior now). OR later in the book will they give me example networks to setup to get the experience or should I be setting this stuff up myself?

Just wondering so I don't get to the end of the first book and think back as if I missed out on some of what I read and have to redo it again.

If you have the resources, sure why not? Hands on experience is how i learn, reading sucks, lol.

That said, you CCNA books are over 2 years old? Might wanna get new ones

I would get Cisco's Network Simulator and actually go threw everything. The more you do it yourself the more you retain the information. I found it very helpful to actually go threw the commands and labs and actually do them. I know lots of people just skip the labs, but its great practice

If you have the resources, sure why not? Hands on experience is how i learn, reading sucks, lol.

That said, you CCNA books are over 2 years old? Might wanna get new ones

My Cisco books are the new ones....:rolleyes:

What I was asking is later on will the book show me labs to do or should I just be making up labs to fit with what they are teaching. Sorry for the confusion.

My Cisco books are the new ones....:rolleyes:

What I was asking is later on will the book show me labs to do or should I just be making up labs to fit with what they are teaching. Sorry for the confusion.

Well excuuuuuuuse me mr :rolleyes:

I've done it some years ago in lab when I was a sophmore (senior now).

So there is no way someone couldn't think your books are two years old

Trainsignal Videos + Que ExamCram 640-802 + real equipment that I bought + Packet Tracer 5 for quick lab build testing = my CCNA in the two test format in 2.5 months. Plenty of real labs to go over everything. YMMV, but I recommend this stuff as it definitely helped me complete my certification.

I was planning on using a second book that I bought. I got the official Cisco library and then I also bought a second ccna prep book that I can going to burn through after I get these read. I think I read that it has some lab examples. I know its frowned apon here but after I burn through both books and the labs I'm going to buy pass4sure for the ccna. I can't afford to fail with the test being 250 dollars now instead of 150 :(. I'm also going to be using GNS3 to simulate the labs on my computer because again, I'm in college and I'm super poor :(.

I'm also going to be using GNS3 to simulate the labs on my computer because again, I'm in college and I'm super poor :(.

That is probably the best studying resource you will ever find. Even IPExpert (CCIE training) has published their entire topology as a DynaMips lab and encourage everyone to stop buying lab time.

That said ... if you want to buy a bunch of 3640's .... ;)

Trainsignal Videos + Que ExamCram 640-802 + real equipment that I bought + Packet Tracer 5 for quick lab build testing = my CCNA in the two test format in 2.5 months. Plenty of real labs to go over everything. YMMV, but I recommend this stuff as it definitely helped me complete my certification.

whats the list of equipment you need for the CCNA?

That is probably the best studying resource you will ever find. Even IPExpert (CCIE training) has published their entire topology as a DynaMips lab and encourage everyone to stop buying lab time.

That said ... if you want to buy a bunch of 3640's .... ;)

How much? :)

whats the list of equipment you need for the CCNA?

3x = 2610 64/16 running 12.3-26 with WIC-1T in each
1x = 3620 64/16 running 12.2-46a with a NM-4A/S and setup to run as a Frame Relay Switch

This is what I used for all the routing labs. Trainsignal labs have 2x 2950's in them however I didn't buy them. I used Packet Tracer 5 to do the switching labs. Packet Tracer does not have the ospf neighbor command so running OSPF over a NBMA Frame Relay is not possible because OSPF can't dynamically discover neighbors over a non-broadcast network. It totally screws up the use of Packet Tracer if that command doesn't exist. Sure you can create another lab using it and I did, but I like to be able to do everything without issues. Also Packet Tracer doesn't have every command you may need for other labs. Did I get through them? Sure, but I went back on the real equipment and ran through it. Also, nothing feels better and helped me solidify the knowledge I learned than ACTUALLY setting up my lab. I learned quite a few things you just can't learn in a sim.

I got a great deal on the routers. A friend found 10 2610's with no WIC's fully loaded 64/16 on eBay. He only needed 5, and sold me the other 5. I paid him $30 a piece + shipping. The NM-4A/S cost me $55, and the WIC-1T's cost me $28 each. I found a guy on craigslist selling 2 3620's for $40 and immediately bought those as well. I bought my DB60 DCE/DTE cables from www.monoprice.com (I have yet to find a place with cheaper cables anywhere) for 3x $7.22. Total price all together was ~ $400. All equipment that I can use further down the line. If you look at the Internetwork Expert CCIE R&S topology you can use your frame you just built to piece into their setup. This is what my buddy is doing.

As far as using GNS3, to each his own. I know there's great documentation on setting up labs using that tool however the first day I used real stuff, I ran into an issue with upgrading the IOS on the router. Something you'd never see in a simulator. Not saying you need to have that kind of experience for the exam, but there's alot of real world stuff you just can't get from a simulator. Again, YMMV.

I was planning on using a second book that I bought. I got the official Cisco library and then I also bought a second ccna prep book that I can going to burn through after I get these read. I think I read that it has some lab examples. I know its frowned apon here but after I burn through both books and the labs I'm going to buy pass4sure for the ccna. I can't afford to fail with the test being 250 dollars now instead of 150 :(. I'm also going to be using GNS3 to simulate the labs on my computer because again, I'm in college and I'm super poor :(.

Please do not buy pass4sure. If you want questions setup like the test, then use the Que book. If you can't afford to not pass, then do whats needed to pass and study.

I know its frowned apon here but after I burn through both books and the labs I'm going to buy pass4sure for the ccna. I can't afford to fail with the test being 250 dollars now instead of 150 :(.
ugh, dude...... seriously. Don't do it. You're just making legitimate certified people look bad. If you can't pass the test without pass4sure you don't deserve the certification and really don't know the material. While the CCNA is a bit on the harder side because its broad its a path that YOU choose to take. If you want the easier way out take the ICND1 and 2 and then you'll be CCNA certified the CORRECT way. Also, there are new counter-measure in the exam to tell if you are cheating, it was carefully notated to Cisco employees. I wont tell you the counter-measures but I will tell you that they DO work.

I do like that you are doing labs, just do labs and read the material and you will be able to pass. Good luck bro.

When I got my CCNA, I tried to do as much as I could IRL. I bought a lot of Cisco stuff on Ebay and started trying everything I was reading/watching. Get some gear or use some of the sim/emulators out there.

The books are great, but I think the CBTNuggets series was much more helpful for me, you may want to look into it.

I'm in a similar boat right now. I'm working on studying for a CNNA certification however I'm not sure if the way I'm going is the best.

I've just gotten a book, ExamPrep CCNA Second Edition (Exam 640-802) and dug into it. I don't think just sitting and read a book will get me anywhere thus my next part... I don't have any Cisco equipments and I'm thinking of buying some so that I can execute all of the things that the CCNA may throw at me so that I can better prepare on hand at home on my own time. Any suggestions on which components I should buy and from what price range can I should be expected to spend?

I see that somebody mentioned that taking ICND1 and ICND2 is better path prior to taking the CCNA and is considered the correct path, clarification requested on this part.

I'm in a similar boat right now. I'm working on studying for a CNNA certification however I'm not sure if the way I'm going is the best.

I've just gotten a book, ExamPrep CCNA Second Edition (Exam 640-802) and dug into it. I don't think just sitting and read a book will get me anywhere thus my next part... I don't have any Cisco equipments and I'm thinking of buying some so that I can execute all of the things that the CCNA may throw at me so that I can better prepare on hand at home on my own time. Any suggestions on which components I should buy and from what price range can I should be expected to spend?
buying equipment for certification study is pointless these days, what you're going to want to do is get yourself dynamips. It will require a half decent machine but it will emulate the cisco IOS. Since its an emulator, you will need access to the actual IOS. This is the best option for CCNA/CCNP studies. You can study most of the switching parts for the CCNA using dynamips but really can't for the CCNP. If you want actual equipment I would say get yourself some switches, anything 2924 and above will suite you perfectly.

I see that somebody mentioned that taking ICND1 and ICND2 is better path prior to taking the CCNA and is considered the correct path, clarification requested on this part.
What I said was that if the CCNA[composite] is too hard for him he can take ICND1 and 2. ICND1 and 2 combined will give you the CCNA certification. The CCNA composite exam is what most people take, its one test and that will also give you the CCNA.

I took ICND1 and 2 because I'm not a network admin and I have only limited experience. I think it's the best route to take to fully understand the concepts if you've never had a job in that area. The composite exam is IMHO, more for those who are already doing the work. I looked at it like this, 2 exams of 40-50 questions or one exam of 50-60. Take your pick. Still having not taken a Cisco test ever, the two test method prepared me better.

I just looked through my second book and it seems to have a ton of hands on stuff with commands like step 1, step 2. I guess its a good thing I bought it :p.

Also, there are new counter-measure in the exam to tell if you are cheating, it was carefully notated to Cisco employees. I wont tell you the counter-measures but I will tell you that they DO work.

From what I have read on Cisco's site it takes into account the speed at which you answer questions, and patterns of wrong questions. So if you are answering questions in 2 seconds that are known to be on P4S (I am positive that Cisco constantly buys all of the brain dumps out there to keep tabs on what is going on) but take forever on new questions (every test has a bank of several hundred questions randomly presented), or have a pattern of answering questions incorrectly (due to incorrect answers in the P4S material) you would be obviously flagged as cheating.

I agree that you shouldn't crutch on a brain dump, but you should find a testing sim that will get you familiar with the style of test taking and questions that could be asked. If you haven't taken a Cisco cert exam before, learning how to look out for the 'gotcha' wording is about 50% of taking the exam.

I never understood the people that go out and buy these "labs" and spend all this money on equipment they honestly really dont' need.

Just go and get yourself GNS3. Install and have fun. Good luck.

Because some of us prefer to work with the real thing. If we have the cash for the real equipment, what do you care what we do?

Because some of us prefer to work with the real thing. If we have the cash for the real equipment, what do you care what we do?

don't feed the troll, keep on topic :p...

On a side note does anyone think I'll have any trouble finding a job in the St. Louis area? I'm graduating with a Telecommunications Systems Management BS in may (Cum GPA currently is a 3.08 and my area GPA (Computer Science + TSM classes) is a 3.36 GPA). Also, before I graduate in May I plan on taking the CCNA exam and passing it so I'll have that under my belt as well.

I've also done 4 months worth the intern work at the 3rd largest bank security and software company in the US for Exchange, POP3, and Blackberry Support.

Just trying to get an idea because I'm going to start putting my resume out.

Good luck, have fun.

?

I think I'm going to end up taking both exams at the same time because one of my co-workers told me yesterday that they increased the price of the exam. The CCNA is now 250 dollars compared to it being 150 before... Gayness.

I have my CCDA.... but could have easily gone and taken my CCNA... The problem is that once i actually got into my job I found that i don't really need it. It just is a piece of paper that opens up doors for me. I have friends that combine have taken every cisco cert, the lower level ones like these are very broad and the questions will be very general. focus on ideals not specific instances, understand the process in solving problems. When i took my DA id say 1/4th of it to 1/8th of it was centered around VOIP and or something pertaining to it. Good luck, sorry the equipment is so expensive. You could always buy the stuff and then resell it. But be cautious, there is a TON of gray market Cisco gear floating out there. This means that even though you may be doing the right things your network hardware may not respond as it should.

I have my CCDA.... but could have easily gone and taken my CCNA... The problem is that once i actually got into my job I found that i don't really need it. It just is a piece of paper that opens up doors for me. I have friends that combine have taken every cisco cert, the lower level ones like these are very broad and the questions will be very general. focus on ideals not specific instances, understand the process in solving problems. When i took my DA id say 1/4th of it to 1/8th of it was centered around VOIP and or something pertaining to it. Good luck, sorry the equipment is so expensive. You could always buy the stuff and then resell it. But be cautious, there is a TON of gray market Cisco gear floating out there. This means that even though you may be doing the right things your network hardware may not respond as it should.

I think that is where experience comes into play but if certs don't get rewarded at your company you can show your company how your certs are valued at other places that are paying more and have a case to ask for a raise. In the event that they still don't care you could always apply at other places and if you get the job ask for a raise then and if they still don't play the game then its time to move on to a new job you already got :p. Thats my stance on it.

More education should always be rewarded with more pay.

I'm really split right now because I'm studying for the CCNA and after I get this cert I'm wondering if I should go for the CCNP or try and get the CCNA security under my belt because I didn't take securtiy tech courses in my major and went the route of systems administration and wireless. I'm definetly going to get some level of voip cert because thats going to be/is a new safe place in tech. Maybe citrix and vmware certification as well.

I'm going to be getting tons of certs in the future... Money drives me.

I have ingrained the idea into my head that I will get my CCNA and after that who knows what.

I'm really split right now because I'm studying for the CCNA and after I get this cert I'm wondering if I should go for the CCNP or try and get the CCNA security...

I'm going to be getting tons of certs in the future... Money drives me.

If money drives you forget about the NA security...Go straight for the NP, it opens a lot more doors and better prepares you for what actually happens in the real world. Then be a true glutton for punishment and go for a CCIE :)

If money drives you forget about the NA security...Go straight for the NP, it opens a lot more doors and better prepares you for what actually happens in the real world. Then be a true glutton for punishment and go for a CCIE :)

Oh I'll have my CCIE and thats not even up for debate :p. I've heard from a lot of people that the security is a joke cert from cisco. I might get the voice certs after I'm done with ccie :).

Oh I'll have my CCIE and thats not even up for debate :p. I've heard from a lot of people that the security is a joke cert from cisco. I might get the voice certs after I'm done with ccie :).

You're pretty ambitious, lol. Take it one step at a time. The CCNA is a breeze compared to the CCNP, the material in the NP is extremely deep. I'm speaking from experience here, I got my NA 6 months ago and I'm still working towards my NP. The IE is a very distant goal.

You're pretty ambitious, lol. Take it one step at a time. The CCNA is a breeze compared to the CCNP, the material in the NP is extremely deep. I'm speaking from experience here, I got my NA 6 months ago and I'm still working towards my NP. The IE is a very distant goal.

not if you apply yourself ooooo.

J/K

I realize its going to be hard but I'm going to obtain it.

heh, GJ Destonomos bringing this thread back from the dead:p

You are definitely ambitious, but a *serious* word of warning. Dont try and do too much, too quickly. Most of the people you see these days with multiple high level Cisco certs came from Cisco, and then either stay with the company or leave for more gainful employment. People(even myself) have the tendency to burn out while studying for the CCIE. I burned out, and im not really afraid to admit it. The CCIE is truly a monster, not because of the actual test but the material that they potentially could ask you. I think its great that you have such motivation, I was EXACTLY like that when I was nearing the end of my college career. Keep that motivation but dont get discouraged if you dont hit your goals when you want to( I didnt! :eek:). Also, when you are finally finished with your CCIE, dont just hop to the next cert. Really become intimate with the technology and become a true CCIE and SME(subject matter expert). The CCIE says you can pass a Cisco test, their way, using their technology. It doesn't cover everything, but being a CCIE you're going to be labeled the "go to guy" so be very much up on your game. Far too often do I meet CCIE's in their respective technology and far too often they can't answer some of my(what I think) basic questions. Ill give you an example, Ive asked two separate voice CCIE's if a specific version of call manager could do authenticated SIP trunking profiles via username and passwords(this is supported in CME, which they didn't even know.. yet I did) . They didn't know the answer. I asked this very same question to a CCIE security and he knew that it wasn't supported.

Point is, become an SME with whichever certifications you go for. Dont hop to the next so quickly unless you're going from the CCNP -> CCIE.

One last thing, get on group study mailing lists, internetwork expert forums, netmasters forums, etc. Don't just frequent here for your CCIE questions, because they probably wont get answered unless myself or a few others that are studying answer them. These forums are good for humor and flame wars imo, so many cry babies and trolls just waiting to get reamed by people that actually know what they're talking about . If you want the real deal, and are serious about getting good information about the certification head over the forums I listed.

Can someone please clarify this?

I was told by someone that attended the last CISCO conference that CISCO is making everyone, starting in middle of 09', attempting any CISCO cert in the CCXX field to get CCNA first prior to taking any of the CCXX certs?

heh, GJ Destonomos bringing this thread back from the dead:p

You are definitely ambitious, but a *serious* word of warning. Dont try and do too much, too quickly. Most of the people you see these days with multiple high level Cisco certs came from Cisco, and then either stay with the company or leave for more gainful employment. People(even myself) have the tendency to burn out while studying for the CCIE. I burned out, and im not really afraid to admit it. The CCIE is truly a monster, not because of the actual test but the material that they potentially could ask you. I think its great that you have such motivation, I was EXACTLY like that when I was nearing the end of my college career. Keep that motivation but dont get discouraged if you dont hit your goals when you want to( I didnt! :eek:). Also, when you are finally finished with your CCIE, dont just hop to the next cert. Really become intimate with the technology and become a true CCIE and SME(subject matter expert). The CCIE says you can pass a Cisco test, their way, using their technology. It doesn't cover everything, but being a CCIE you're going to be labeled the "go to guy" so be very much up on your game. Far too often do I meet CCIE's in their respective technology and far too often they can't answer some of my(what I think) basic questions. Ill give you an example, Ive asked two separate voice CCIE's if a specific version of call manager could do authenticated SIP trunking profiles via username and passwords(this is supported in CME, which they didn't even know.. yet I did) . They didn't know the answer. I asked this very same question to a CCIE security and he knew that it wasn't supported.

Point is, become an SME with whichever certifications you go for. Dont hop to the next so quickly unless you're going from the CCNP -> CCIE.

One last thing, get on group study mailing lists, internetwork expert forums, netmasters forums, etc. Don't just frequent here for your CCIE questions, because they probably wont get answered unless myself or a few others that are studying answer them. These forums are good for humor and flame wars imo, so many cry babies and trolls just waiting to get reamed by people that actually know what they're talking about . If you want the real deal, and are serious about getting good information about the certification head over the forums I listed.

He should probably concentrate on his CCNA before worrying about all of that, lol.

Can someone please clarify this?

I was told by someone that attended the last CISCO conference that CISCO is making everyone, starting in middle of 09', attempting any CISCO cert in the CCXX field to get CCNA first prior to taking any of the CCXX certs?

I think the CCNA is, and has been, a pre-req for any certs other than the CCDA and CCIE tracks.

You can find all the info on Cisco's site.

Back