• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CCC and Overdrive

Nearsite

Gawd
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
965
Will AMD release a CCC that will allow higher GPU Core and Mem Clocks than they provide currently?

I really don't want to flash my bios or use MSI Afterburner.

I don't want to use the AMD GPU Clock utility becuase I like how the CCC drops the core and memory clocks in 2d mode and I don't want to have to OC the card everytime i boot up the PC.

Otherwise I'm stuck with the CCC OC of 775 core and 1125 memory, but I KNOW the 5850 could go higher and I want it to!
 
Have you used afterburner? I don't even oc my card but I use it for the awesome on screen hardware monitoring alone.
 
5850 can go way higher.

It would be nice if AMD had a better utility but I am thankful that MSi came out with something everyone can use.

I think MSI is awesome for creating a utility that not only overclocks their own cards but also competitors cards. MSi is impressing me lately.
 
Afterburner can be used with non-MSI cards. I personally prefer overclocking using CCC, though, but that's just me.
 
Don't I need to flash my bios to use Afterburner to OC?

There's an option to enable "unofficial" overclocking on Afterburner. It may not be as reliable but if you don't want to risk your card by flashing new bios (I guess you can call me a chicken) then enabling the unofficial ocing method is the best second option. You can enable this option by opening MSIAfterburning.cfg with your favorite txt editor and setting this option "EnableUnofficialOverclocking" to 1
 
Use MSI Afterburner to tweak voltage. Close. Use ATI Tray Tools to go above the 900/1300 lockdown. Restart Afterburner. Confirm clocks with GPU-Z.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733

ATT is able to get around the limiter on 900/1300 for some reason, even with the stock bios.

ATI Tray Tools is nice, but I have problems running MW2 with it installed, and apparently I'm not the only one (just to caution you). Maybe that issue has been fixed, though. I haven't used ATT or MW2 since BC2 came out.
 
I have enabled unofficial overclocking in MSI but for some reason it won't let me save the clocks higher than what CCC allows. I can drag the slider part 775 for example, but it just drops back down again to 775 when I click apply. I did not flash my BIOS, is that why?
 
I have enabled unofficial overclocking in MSI but for some reason it won't let me save the clocks higher than what CCC allows. I can drag the slider part 775 for example, but it just drops back down again to 775 when I click apply. I did not flash my BIOS, is that why?

When you adjust the slider to your desired position,click "apply".

Then click "save" and the "profile" slots will blink, choose a profile slot to place your saved adjustment and you'll be good to go.:p

If you use the "enable unofficial overclock = 1" in the config file you'll be able to go way past the 900 mark.
If you have a "reference" card, you'll be able to up VCore as well and get a more stable OC at the risk of more heat.
Crank up the fans too.:D
 
When you adjust the slider to your desired position,click "apply".

Then click "save" and the "profile" slots will blink, choose a profile slot to place your saved adjustment and you'll be good to go.:p

If you use the "enable unofficial overclock = 1" in the config file you'll be able to go way past the 900 mark.
If you have a "reference" card, you'll be able to up VCore as well and get a more stable OC at the risk of more heat.
Crank up the fans too.:D

So can you confirm you do NOT have to flash bios to have our OC take, and also, are you able to create a 2D profile so that the GPU is downclocked for things such as web surfing and emails, etc.?
 
disable ccc in start up.and use msi afterbuner only. not only does it allow you oc higher,but it also lets you turn up voltage.
 
disable ccc in start up.and use msi afterbuner only. not only does it allow you oc higher,but it also lets you turn up voltage.

Do I have to Disable the whole CCC suite or just the Overdrive portion of it?
 
So can you confirm you do NOT have to flash bios to have our OC take, and also, are you able to create a 2D profile so that the GPU is downclocked for things such as web surfing and emails, etc.?

You DO NOT have to flash your BIOS. Afterburner works with nearly every ATI card. That said, to be able to adjust the VCore you need to have an ATI "reference" card. Non-reference models don't usually have the same voltage regulators.

I did nothing to my CCC or Overdrive to OC my cards with Afterburner,I just went into the .cfg file and placed "enable unofficial overclocking" = 1, it overrode Overdrive, but if you wish, you could disable Overdrive.

Afterburner will not automatically downclock your cards for 2D applications.
What you would need to do, would be to adjust sliders to a downclocked timings, click apply, then save and place that in a profile. You can also assign a hotkey to your profiles, it's very simple.
 
I had the same problem even after the "enable unofficial overclocking=1". I uninstalled CCC completely. After that Afterburner worked perfectly.
 
Back
Top