Cat6

L0s7_4_Lyf3

Weaksauce
Where can I get Cat6 qualified RJ-45 connectors for cheap? Places I've found are rediculous, $30 for a 50 pack...

Try looking for Cat5/Cat5E connections instead. I doubt you actually need Cat6, as gigabit works fine over Cat5e.

I got a few hundred feet of Cat6 free and you need Cat6 qualified connectors to use them.

All of my cat5 connectors don't crimp right.

L0s7_4_Lyf3 said:
I got a few hundred feet of Cat6 free and you need Cat6 qualified connectors to use them.

All of my cat5 connectors don't crimp right.

You *can* use Cat5e crimps on Cat6 cable. Make sure your using the proper crimps i.e. stranded crimps for stranded wire and solid crimps for solid wire.

SJConsultant said:
You *can* use Cat5e crimps on Cat6 cable. Make sure your using the proper crimps i.e. stranded crimps for stranded wire and solid crimps for solid wire.
I am using the right connectors, but it just doesn't work.

Still, where can I find cat6 connectors for low low walmart prices?

youre not going to find them cheap. the cat6 spec requires the wires to be staggered which requires real cat6 connectors with that little plastic insert thing the wires sit in. That having been said, if you cant crimp a regular RJ45 on the cable, you are using the wrong kind. Are you sure youre not using your "low low walmart price" RJ45 phone connectors for stranded wire on solid cable?

Yes, I know what I'm doing. When I crimp with Cat6 some of the contacts aren't pushed down into the wire. But with Cat5e it works perfectly.

push the pins down with a butter knife
thats what i did when my crimper stopped working 100%
lol

That doesn't work for me, damn pins don't budge.

And besides, I know my crimper works 100% since it works on all my other cable.

It's either the connectors or the copper conducters are too hard for the pins to punch through.

Anyway, I just went ahead and ordered some Cat6 connectors, so I'll get to find out soon, thanks anyway.

L0s7_4_Lyf3 said:
That doesn't work for me, damn pins don't budge.

And besides, I know my crimper works 100% since it works on all my other cable.

It's either the connectors or the copper conducters are too hard for the pins to punch through.

Anyway, I just went ahead and ordered some Cat6 connectors, so I'll get to find out soon, thanks anyway.

Not to repeat whats above (but I'm going to anyway) it sounds like you are using ends designed for stranded wire, on solid cable.

Stranded means the the copper part is a whole bunch of little bitty wires twisted together, so piercing it is easy. Solid cable is just that - one big hunk of copper and it won't be pierced. If your ends won't work, its because you don't have the right match of ends and cable.

Are you by any chance using 23 Guage Cat6? I have a ton of Cat6 STP and for the life of me I can't find connectors that are shielded. If you are using STP make sure you have shielded Cat6 connectors... that is if you can find them on the market.

From what I have found that you can lose up to 20%+ of performance by using the regular nonShielded Cat6 connectors. That is because of the lose of signal right there at the connector.

Raystream

I know the cable is solid. And I was using connectors from a bag I ordered off of newegg with the label "Cat5 enhanced for solid 100pcs" and right on the boxes of Cat6 it says solid.

Are you by any chance using 23 Guage Cat6? I have a ton of Cat6 STP and for the life of me I can't find connectors that are shielded. If you are using STP make sure you have shielded Cat6 connectors... that is if you can find them on the market.
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=180+0218&sk=MC51419

Back