cat5e cable dead?

gabzor

Weaksauce
customer has a cat5e connection, but i can't rerun wires, (i don't have the equipment) don't even have a crimp as of now..

but its probably around 150ft of cat5 going through ceiling, etc..

the light on the switch would not light up, and light up a little bit, and the nic still blinks.. but yeah its dead.. cause i tried taking the device out, and connecting it via another cable

customer says he was "cleaning up the wires" and he saw a spark.. so i'm guessing it shorted out the cat5..

what i can't figure out is.. is the wire itself dead? or is it just the head?
if its just the head i can just cut and crimp a new one after i get a crimp..

I recommend buying a cable tester to test the cat5 cable.. you can get one of these from parts express for $13.25

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=320-182&utm_source=googlepshttp://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=320-182&utm_source=googleps

Or you can just buy a Crimper for around 15-20 bucks and replace the RJ-45 jacks on the cable. It may just be a damaged jack on the cable, but again no way to really know unless you test the cable run with a cable tester.

I'd definitely try putting some new ends on before rerunning the cable.

Cable Tester and Crimper at the absolute minimum. If a live data cable shorted out, the spark (if any) would be barely noticeable. More likely moved an AC line. Check the area where he saw the spark.
Did you try the cable on a different port of the switch?

If you are terminating the connection at a 3560 or 3750 you can run a tdr test from IOS.

Code:
Switch# test cable-diagnostics tdr interface g1/0/14

Switch#show cable-diagnostics tdr  interface gigabitEthernet 1/0/14
TDR test last run on: March 04 22:31:09

Interface Speed Local pair Pair length        Remote pair Pair status
--------- ----- ---------- ------------------ ----------- --------------------
Gi1/0/14  auto  Pair A     19   +/- 4  meters N/A         Open
                Pair B     19   +/- 4  meters N/A         Open
                Pair C     20   +/- 4  meters N/A         Open
                Pair D     20   +/- 4  meters N/A         Open

If you are terminating the connection at a 3560 or 3750 you can run a tdr test from IOS.

Code:
Switch# test cable-diagnostics tdr interface g1/0/14

Switch#show cable-diagnostics tdr  interface gigabitEthernet 1/0/14
TDR test last run on: March 04 22:31:09

Interface Speed Local pair Pair length        Remote pair Pair status
--------- ----- ---------- ------------------ ----------- --------------------
Gi1/0/14  auto  Pair A     19   +/- 4  meters N/A         Open
                Pair B     19   +/- 4  meters N/A         Open
                Pair C     20   +/- 4  meters N/A         Open
                Pair D     20   +/- 4  meters N/A         Open

have no idea what that is :eek:
do enlighten me :p

okay, i will speak to the customer, and probably run some new ends.. i guess its a 1 time thing so i'll probably just return the crimper after i buy it

also just wondering, is there a way to extend an rj45?/cat5e

have no idea what that is :eek:
do enlighten me :p

okay, i will speak to the customer, and probably run some new ends.. i guess its a 1 time thing so i'll probably just return the crimper after i buy it

also just wondering, is there a way to extend an rj45?/cat5e

If you are going to do anything with networking you have to have a rj 45 crimper :)

Yes you can extend it, there are punch down blocks that take two ethernet cables and combine them. I've always heard it is not recommended to do them as there could a drop in signal when going through the punch down block.
However in practice I've never seen a problem. I had to extend 40 cables with punch down blocks to get them over to a different closet, and not one has had any issues.

so what i'm doing is crimping in new rj45 heads, testing it, if that fails, rerun cable aye?

i know a crimper is needed, but i used to work for a store so i always had access to cat5e/rj45heads and a crimper.. this is just one side job.. maybe ill return it after since its only 1 use, and if i were to buy, i'd probably get something highquality like paladin tools

so what i'm doing is crimping in new rj45 heads, testing it, if that fails, rerun cable aye?

i know a crimper is needed, but i used to work for a store so i always had access to cat5e/rj45heads and a crimper.. this is just one side job.. maybe ill return it after since its only 1 use, and if i were to buy, i'd probably get something highquality like paladin tools

You are missing a point I think. If the customer was cleaning wires and he saw a "spark", he has bigger issues. There could be exposed power up there putting you at risk. We had situation at one of our sites where a guy was cleaning ducts and there was a improperly terminated AC line on a damper...I will never forget a the guy screaming in the false ceiling with his legs flying around in mid air because he couldn't let go. Sorry...networking wire won't spark..not enough voltage/current.

You are missing a point I think. If the customer was cleaning wires and he saw a "spark", he has bigger issues. There could be exposed power up there putting you at risk. We had situation at one of our sites where a guy was cleaning ducts and there was a improperly terminated AC line on a damper...I will never forget a the guy screaming in the false ceiling with his legs flying around in mid air because he couldn't let go. Sorry...networking wire won't spark..not enough voltage/current.

Unless someone wired an ethernet cable like this
ethernetkiller.jpg

I have made 802.3af and old Cisco PoE spark, it mainly happens when you plug it into something not PoE or if you get a wire crossed (cross over cable, etc.)

Also there is a reason that you should carry a voltmeter when going into drop tile ceilings, you test objects before you grab them for the exact reason you listed.

Any spark, including PoE, will have at most a barely noticeable spark- on the level of static discharge when a person touches a metal object.
As for carrying a multi-meter and checking everything in a drop ceiling... what are you on??? Do you seriously do this? What is your ground reference point? What do you do if 120V is shorted to ground, and testing ground and hot reveals no volts? If you are that worried about being shocked, wear leather gloves.
Better advice is if you actually fear for your life on the jobsite...leave.

tsrh.

Also, OP if I were you.....I would call an electrician. I know for any company I have ever worked for, if sparks or anything dangerous happened. An electrician had to be called to verify everything is grounded and up to spec before I could even go into the home/business.

No sense in being killed or injured over something silly as cat5 cable.......or for my case, coax.

Back