Cat 5 running parallel to coaxial (TV) cable--bad idea?

carl67lp

Supreme [H]ardness
I've just moved in to a new apartment--my first, thank you very much (about time too!)--and I'm preparing to run cables to my "section" of the apartment. One of my roommates has his room right next to mine, so we're going to run a line to our section and hook it to a 10/100 switch.

Along with this, we'll be running a coax cable for TV to the same part of the apartment. Both of these cables are coming from the same area (wall jack in the living room), so the logical thing is to run them in parallel.

My concern is interference between the types of cables. I know that running Cat 5 along, say, flourescent lighting is a bad idea, but I don't know the etiquette for running parallel to coaxial cable.

What's my best option here? We want a clean appearance, so running completely separate from each other probably isn't an option.

I don't have a ton of experience with this, but I haven't had any problems running cat 5 near / with coax.

Some cable manufacturers make composite cable that has two coax, two cat5 and two fibers all bundled into one assembly.

As someone else mentioned, coaxial is shielded, so there isn't a problem.

Excellent. That's exactly what I expected, but I wanted to verify before I started deciding where things were going.

Thanks for the help!

SJConsultant said:
Some cable manufacturers make composite cable that has two coax, two cat5 and two fibers all bundled into one assembly.

As someone else mentioned, coaxial is shielded, so there isn't a problem.

What he said.

They are both low voltage cables with signals less then 300v. Specs state that coax and UTP are to be run in the same conduits and run parallel together vs. other cables (300-600v+ PLTC, romex, etc).

Back