Capture card for laserdisc ripping

sandmanx

[H]F Junkie
I need to get a capture card with composite in, in order to capture video from a laserdisc. If possible, I'd like it to have tv tuner capabilities as well, when I eventually get around to building a htpc.

Will a Hauppauge 150(or 250) work well for this? My friend wants to transfer some laserdisc to dvd for his own personal use(which from what I understand after a google search is completely legal.) I plan to pull in audio(dolby surround) off the motherboard line in, unless a discreet card would be noticibally(sp) better.

One thing to consider is macrovision - I don't know the LD spec too well, but if the disc has macrovision protection you won't just be able to capture it (even if it is for legal purposes.)

IanG said:
One thing to consider is macrovision - I don't know the LD spec too well, but if the disc has macrovision protection you won't just be able to capture it (even if it is for legal purposes.)

I already checked on that, no laserdisc contains no protection of any type. I'm just looking for a good quality capture via composite. The few times I've done it in the past, I've noticed a BIG difference in quality of composite capture inbetween difference types of capture cards.

The difference between a cheap ati capture card and a winnov videum was amazing. This is what I use at work to capture video for live streaming content, but unfortunely I can't take it out of the machine, so that's why I wanted some opinions on the Hauppauge card, and more specifically, the composite capture quailty.

the difference between a cheap ati capture card and a winnov videum was amazing. This is what I use at work to capture video for live streaming content, but unfortunely I can't take it out of the machine, so that's why I wanted some opinions on the Hauppauge card, and more specifically, the composite capture quailty.
Another option is the theater 550 card. It’s sort of a competitor to the Hauppauge cards. You should check out the specs in the provided link to see if you think it is good enough.

I use a Hauppauge card and like the video picture quality, but some people don’t think it's all that and a bag of chips! :p

I use the highest quality settings in my PVR software and I have good quality cables, so maybe that helps. You really don’t have many low cost options so try one if it doesn’t look good enough then return it.

Back