Can't update BF2

Lt.Doomsday

Limp Gawd
installed the game and then the latest patch and the version date still reads 1.1.2716-548.0
the installer for the patch goes though with no trouble or errors.

what could be the problem?

Rig:
1.8 Athlon XP
MSI Delta 2 LSR
1gi Of Corsair ValueSelect
80/160gig WD Hardrives.

After you do a fresh install of BF2 you need to download/install the 1.21 FULL patch. It's almost 400mb. Is that what you did? You'll also need to install everything into its default folders just to be sure it's updating correctly.

yeap,that's the one i downloaded.

i installed BF2 onto my game drive{instead of my C: Drive}

damn it all,i have no space on the C: drive.
i got a Username/Password Screen,guess i'll register for it.

Here's the text from it. It's a big read:

There has been a lot of threads about help with patch installing. So i have made a simple guide to installing from fresh.

There is two options:

1 - Upgrade your Battlefield 2 (1.2) to 1.21 with the 1.21 UPGRADE patch (82mb)

OR

2 - Do a full wipe of bf2, and reinstall with full 1.21 patch (357MB)
(best option i think, fresh install causes less trouble)

How to do a fresh install:

####BACKUP (optional)####
Back up your profiles (controls, video settings, mods etc..), this saves time tweaking again. These can be found in.

C:\Documents and Settings\ [#username#] \My Documents\Battlefield 2\
Copy the profiles folder to desktop, and keep them safe.
Do the same for any other data you wish to keep, eg screenshots, mods etc..

####UNINSTALL####
Now uninstall battlefield 2 (use add/remove programs, or use the uninstall icon in the games start menu folder), do the same with special forces if you have it.

Make your way to the old install directory, to see if any bf2 folders are left after the uninstall. Default is C:\Program Files\ea games\battlefield 2

If so, check for any data that you wish to save (mods etc..) before you manually delete the folder.
Do the same in your my documents, are will be a battlefield 2 folder as well. This way all bf2 files are off the system (part from the ones you want to keep, on the desktop).

NB:Your aiming to fully delete two folders (named battlefield 2) left after the uninstall process; one will be in the main install dir (C:\program files), and one will be in 'my documents'.

####SYSTEM CLEAN UP####
Clean up your system using windows 'disk cleanup' (in start menu /accessories/system tools/) or use your own program.
I use 'ace utilities', since it does a great cleaning job (including registry, and junk files). A trial can be found here. http://www.acelogix.com/

####OPTION####
Once all bf2 is gone and system is clean, you can either do a defragment now (we will do a defragment at the end) or continue reinstalling.

####INSTALLING####
Before installing Battlefield 2 again, just do a computer restart to get things out of memory.
OK now install the normal way (DVD in and follow the wizard). But you MUST do it in this order.

For Battlefield 2 Only:
Battlefield 2 > Patch 1.21 (full patch 357MB) > Done

For Battlefield 2 And Special Forces:
Battlefield 2 > Special Forces > Patch 1.21 (full patch 357MB) > Done

Note: Special forces has to be installed after Battlefield 2, but BEFORE the Full 1.2 patch.
That's the lot for installing.

####BACKUP RESTORING (if applicable)####
This is the time to restore the backups we took at the start.
For example paste the profiles folder back into:
C:\Documents and Settings\ [#username#] \My Documents\Battlefield 2\
and do the same for any other data you saved. Just make sure it went back into the right folder if came from.
This saves time, instead of you tweaking your settings again.

####DEFRAGMENT####
Now do a defragment of your hard drive. Basically if you don't know, this sorts out (puts in order) the files on hard drive so it can be read faster.
More about defragmenting can easily be found on Google search.

The Windows Disk Defragmenter can be found in: startmenu /accessories/system tools/Disk Defragmenter

To start a defragment, click the drive you wish to defrag, and then click defragment, then it may take some time to finish.

Personally i think the Windows Disk Defragmenter doesn't do a good job. I use Perfect Disk which can perform a excellent defrag. A trial can be found here. http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

#########################################

That's the lot. Have fun!!
If you are having problems, try and do the full fresh install, including defragmenting, cleaning (using ace utilities will get rid of old data in registry).

P.S. This guide was written with windows xp in mind, so adjust to your system, eg. the directories maybe be slightly out.

Lt.Doomsday said:
basically,i have to install the game on the C: Drive for the patch to take affect?

In order to simplify troubleshooting and/or to get support from EA: yes. :(

Lt.Doomsday said:
i guess i'll install it on the C: Drive,Patch it and then move it to the gaming drive.

Hmmm... That could get tricky. You'll need to edit all the registry settings to match the move.

It's insane how finicky this game is. Some people get it to work on different drives/partitions but most do not get it working.

you know,you pay money and don't except a headache like this just from a simple patch.

i know it's gonna be tricky,i've done it before with other software.

Lt.Doomsday said:
you know,you pay money and don't except a headache like this just from a simple patch.

i know it's gonna be tricky,i've done it before with other software.

Yeah you hit da nail on da head. :mad:

WYLM,
Your set by set walkthrough is great, thanks so much for providing the links to the two programs also!

Majin said:
WYLM,
Your set by set walkthrough is great, thanks so much for providing the links to the two programs also!

That's not mine it was taken from a post at EA which in turn was taken mostly from www.tweakguides.com and his BF2 tweak guide. I am but a messenger of good BF2-will. :D

Lt.Doomsday said:
installed on the C: Drive.
ran patch
stil reads version date 1.1.2716-548.0

Ok, this may be incorrect but if it's not then I'm an idiot. I have a hunch that your version number is actually correct. Have you tried connecting to any servers since patching? The reason I say this is because I found an obscure post at the EA forum that had a screen shot of the initial login screen AFTER he patched to 1.21. Guess what? Same version you posted. :D And he's working fine...

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Ok, this may be incorrect but if it's not then I'm an idiot. I have a hunch that your version number is actually correct. Have you tried connecting to any servers since patching? The reason I say this is because I found an obscure post at the EA forum that had a screen shot of the initial login screen AFTER he patched to 1.21. Guess what? Same version you posted. :D And he's working fine...

I also have the above listed version number but I am able to play fine!

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Hmmm... That could get tricky. You'll need to edit all the registry settings to match the move.

It's insane how finicky this game is. Some people get it to work on different drives/partitions but most do not get it working.

OK, how do I do thist (edit all the registry settings to match the move.)? I've got the game installed on F, but windows is on C, and I'm getting some grief from the game, too.

PNut12345 said:
OK, how do I do thist (edit all the registry settings to match the move.)? I've got the game installed on F, but windows is on C, and I'm getting some grief from the game, too.

I can't tell you what to do because I've not done this and I haven't come across any posts that have done it. That's why it would be quite tricky. It's best just to install it in the default directory.

PNut12345 said:

I have the game set up the exact same way.
Windows is on my C drive and all my games are on F drive
D and E are my DVD-RW drive and my 52x CD-RW drive.

Heres what I did to get BF2:SF to work.

Step 1
DL the 1.21 full patch try File Front I got 300 - 500 kbs DL from them the file took about 12 mins.

Step 2
Now Copy the BF2 file in My Documents and paste it to desktop.

Step 3
Uninstall BF2 and BF2:SF by using the Uninstall located in the BF2 directory.

Step 4
Go to your F drive and delete the remaining BF2 folders.

Step 5
Restart your computer

Step 6
Use the Ace System cleaner It is a great tool, I am buying it for sure. It also allows you to edit the Processes that run on Start Up! Clean up your computer of any and all BF2 and other wasted files, it's up to you to determine what to delete.

Step 7
Install Vanilla BF2 on your F drive

Step 8
Install BF2:SF on your F drive

Step 9
Run the full 1.21 Patch

Step 10
Put the BF2 Folder on your desk top back into my documents, delete or overwrite the new BF2 folder.

Step 11
Restart the computer

Step 12
You should be ready to go, you may have to fine tune your BF2 settings a bit but otherwise you should be all better.

Back