Can't ping home file server

cnick79

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a file server computer running Mandriva LE2005 on my network using a D-Link DI-604 router. I assigned the server a static IP of 192.168.0.5. I have DHCP enabled on the router to use IPs 192.168.0.100-199. On my Windows XP machine (also on the network) I tried to ping 192.168.0.5 and it timed out. What am I doing wrong here? I want to be able to map drives on my XP machine to the file server but can't if it can't ping the server. My ISP is RoadRunner.

From the Mandriva (what an odd name) machine, can you ping the XP box or your router/gateway? The mandriva machine could have a firewall on it which prevents pings.

Strangest thing, from the server I can ping my 2 brother's computer on the network but not mine. From my machine I can ping my 2 brother's computers but not the server. My XP machine has a fairly new (1 month?) install of XP and I have yet to install any type of software firewall let alone any other software besides AIM. I did set my XP comp up to VPN to my computer at work but I don't see why this would affect anything because I can still ping computers on my home network accept the server.

Just because you haven't installed third party software doesn't mean ICF isn't running on the XP box(s). That wouldn't block outgoing ICMP requests (PING) though.

VPN shouldn't have any effect UNLESS your actually connected to the VPN server via the client. If your connected to the VPN server the you certainly want to disconnect from that before trying anything on your LAN.

Can you ping the server from your brother's computer?

I'd personally start over, at the top and do it all again.
Just in case I've missed something.

1. The DHCP server in your router is capable of issuing 255 IP's....that's pretty much a given on all the home type routers that I've seen. I'd reset it's IP to something like 192.168.0.254 (you aren't supposed to use 255 for anything because it's used for something....I can't remember what right now). And 254 is a common IP for routers.

2. Then I'd set the DHCP to be able to issue IP's 1-100.

3. Set the Primary DNS servers for the router based on your ISP's, or I use 4.2.2.2 & 4.2.2.3 (Verizon's DNS servers) because Bellsouth's DNS servers are slow. Slow DNS lookups piss me off....I also use Treewalk on my computers.

4. I'd manually set the server's static IP to 192.168.0.253....just because it's easy for me to remember. Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway to 192.168.0.254. Set the computer's primary DNS to 192.168.0.254 - the second and third to Verizon's and the fourth and fifth to your ISP's ( I know it's a little redundant but it works for me). In linux there is a slash number after the IP(like 192.168.0.25./28)....I'm not quite sure what it's for and I definately don't know what you should set it to - I is a Linux n00b. There is also something called a public IP I think - again I'm not sure what you should do here.

5. Then I'd go to my XP computer and set a static IP on it, just like I did on the server, using 192.168.0.101 for it. Set the subnet to 255.255.255.0. Set the gate way to 192.168.0.254. Set the DNS's just like I did for the server - you can play around with the order to get the fastest lookups. To test them just go to ebay and see how long it takes to load a page after searching for "DDR"....these vendors use a lot of pictures - all stores somewhere that isn't ebay.

At this point both the server and the XP computer should be able to ping each other.

Being able to see each others drives is a whole 'nother can of worms involving setting the computers to the same workgroup and getting samba to play nice with your network.

I'm sorry if I've told you a bunch of stuff that you already knew.....for me it helps if I go over everything step-by-step.

Good luck.

rodsfree said:
Can you ping the server from your brother's computer?

Nope.

I forgot to mention the server has a dual Linux/Windows XP boot. When I booted in XP I set it to the same static IP as I did in Linux and was able to ping the server when its running XP. It still times out when doing linux.

I'm guessing the default iptables rules are blocking the pings. Most new linux distros enable their firewall by default. As a quick test, you can disable iptables and try pinging again:
/etc/init.d/iptables stop

Then try pinging, and it might work. You can reanble the firewall with '/etc/init.d/iptables start', or stop it all together by running 'chkconfig --level 2345 iptables off' (or 'chkconfig --del iptables')

Back