Can't install Audigy

hablis

n00b
Went from a SBLive 5.1, did all I could to get it all out, removed it in device manager, deleted drivers, was using Audigy drivers. Removed card booted, shut down, booted again for good measure.
I put the Audigy in, boot, cancel driver install, load cd, reboot, no sound. Open device manager, ! next to multimedia controller and pci input device. Click update driver, gets halfway, and comes up with a "data is invalid" message.
Firewire controller is there, but the Audigy is not. Short of reformat, reinstalling XP, any ideas ????

You shouldn't need to press the "update" button in the Device Manager.

Just install the drivers off the Audigy CD. Everything should be working properly after that.

One thing, did you delete the entire Creative folder in Windows Explorer? You may need to do this because I heard that some users would run into problems installing the drivers until they completely remove the entire folder as well. Then everything ran smoothly after that.

Thanks for the input.
I had completely removed all but the native windows driver and the creative folder.
The strange thing is that it comes up as an Audigy(WDM) but after the driver install fails, it reverts to multimedia device.
It must be trying to install it as a Live and doesn't match, I even tried switching pci slots still nada...

When you install a new sound card, you should do a reinstall of Windows because even if you uninstall the prior card, some stuff will remain in the registry.

Back