Can't get a dialtone with 56k modems

Foz2001

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a customers laptop here, she has a built in 33.6k modem and a external usb 56k modem. When I try to connect using either of them it comes up saying there is no dialtone. However when I plug a phone into the jack it works fine and there is a dialtone. Also the built in modem I did manage to get connected for whatever reason and was working fine, but then I try it again and it says there is no dialtone. The line does not have any voicemail beeps or anything that would interfere.

Im confused, anyone have an idea?

FOz

Both showing up properly in Device Mangler?
Any odd settings in the modem properties to use a 9 first, or commas in there for breaks, etc.
Modems pass the diagnostic utility in control panel?

Are you sure this isn't a digital line? What kind of phone are you getting a dialtone with?

modems show up fine in device manager. At the customers house she does not have digital lines and was having this issue, at my place I do have digital telephone and am getting the same issue. I am getting a dialtone with just a regular cordless phone, so there is a dialtone...

What diagnostic utility should I be running in control panel?

Last edited:
What diagnostic utility should I be running in control panel?

Bring up the modem's panel in Control Panel, I forget the exact name...because quite frankly it's been soooo long since I've had to deal with a dial up modem, but somewhere on the property or infomation or <something> tab...there's a button that I think was called "Diagnostics"...and it performed an internal test of the modem. You'd see modem scripts rolling down the page, and at the same time if you looked over at the modem you'd see the lights dancing about. A basic test that let you know the operating system was working with the modem propertly.

The next step I'd always do testing a modem was bring up dialer (start==>run==>dialer) and call my cell phone.

God I have 1 or 2 jobs a year when i have to mess around with dialup.

I generally pull up the modem in device manager and do a Query on the modem.

I then check the settings under Phone and Modem, make sure something funny isn't checked like dial *9 for outside line, and area code is correct.

Then you can try the dialer, or just get a new modem to test with.

I've had modems die out.

No convincing to drop their $19 or $29 buck AOL plan to step it up to some DSL even?

For the query what am I looking for? One thing came up saying "Command Not supported", but eveything else seemed to say success or some jibber jabber of crap.

Try to make it "blind" dial. There should be an option for it to wait for a dial-tone to start dialing. De-select this so it dials anyway.

Did you try the external USB modem on your own computer? Two modems on the same computer not working tends to be a software conflict of some sort.

My US Robotics courier serial modem works on my digital line. All I use it for is sending and receiving faxes in vista.

Umm.............glad to hear it.:rolleyes:
Someone mentioned it could be a digital line issue, I was just saying modems work just fine with digital lines. Granted the one I have retails for over $100 at frys (or $28 if you know where to look)

Oh.. btw OP, you said this laptop has internal 33.6k modem inside it? How old is it and what os does it use? It sounds like it needs to be replaced and killed with fire.

There are a few tricks to try. Some of my favorites are from HyperTerminal command line.

1) type ATDT 555-555-5555
this will push the modem to dial whatever number you replace for 555-555-5555.

2) type ATA
This asks the modem to answer the line. It's usually a good idea to be listening in with a phone plugged into the same line. If the modem initializes the line (clicks over to answer) then try

3) hand dial the ISP from the same handset, when the ISP starts a handshake, enter "ATA" in the terminal window again. Make note of changes in the tones of the handshake.

The idea here is to determine what, if any, information the modem is capable of communicating through the phone line. I worked in a small dial-up ISP for several years and we saw failed modems regularly. Often when a modem was fried, it would offer the "no dialtone" error. 99% of the time that same fried modem would not communicate at all through the phone line (although I've seen some that must have only been "partially" fried). If you can get the modem to dial out using ATDT but not by any other means, you probably have something misconfigured in Windows. It could also be a driver issue.

Hope this helped.

Someone mentioned it could be a digital line issue, I was just saying modems work just fine with digital lines. Granted the one I have retails for over $100 at frys (or $28 if you know where to look)
OK, I see the reasoning now - heh.

Oh.. btw OP, you said this laptop has internal 33.6k modem inside it? How old is it and what os does it use? It sounds like it needs to be replaced and killed with fire.
For Real

Appreciate all the respones. Turned out to be 2 faulty/dead modems. I replaced the usb modem and it works perfectly now.

Foz

I've got to admit, I had to stop in just to find out who was still using 56K modems :p

people who still use modems: the same people who think that their 10 year old computer running windows 98 is the best thing since sliced bread, and those who live in the sticks.

people who still use modems: the same people who think that their 10 year old computer running windows 98 is the best thing since sliced bread, and those who live in the sticks.

People using modems is still 50% of the US... (at least the last study they did on it... I'd be interested to see something with 2009 numbers).

I was just curious of the computer hobbyists that come here, who was still messing with a 56K modem :p

I see this too often as well. I wish our customers would stop complaining to us that their dial up is having problems constantly when they can pay $5 more a month to get a headache-free DSL connection with their phone.
I do understand the people who live out in the sticks is stuck with dial-up, but I've actually seen them disappointed that they can't get dsl, yet the city folks who can take advantage of some sort of broadband service swear up and down about their dial-up connection.

Back