Can't delete a folder

josh_1413

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
344
There is a folder on my desktop that i cannot delete. When i try to delete it it says "cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk." Then when i try to open it, it says "this file refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that yo u are connected to the internet or your network, and the try again. If it still cannot be located, the information ight have been moved to a different location." I tried running a program called "move on boot" to no avail. I also tried going into safe mode, and it still won't delete. Is there any other way or program that can delete this off my desktop?

I have windows XP Pro.
 
Ah, yes. The folder from hell problem.

Try deleting it from a command prompt after booting in safe mode.

-Larry

josh_1413 said:
There is a folder on my desktop that i cannot delete. When i try to delete it it says "cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk." Then when i try to open it, it says "this file refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that yo u are connected to the internet or your network, and the try again. If it still cannot be located, the information ight have been moved to a different location." I tried running a program called "move on boot" to no avail. I also tried going into safe mode, and it still won't delete. Is there any other way or program that can delete this off my desktop?

I have windows XP Pro.
 
rename the folder? or rename the folder within the folder within the folder..
works for me.
 
HDBox2d1 said:
rename the folder? or rename the folder within the folder within the folder..
works for me.

I can't rename it either.....I even tried MoveONBoot, and it don't work either
 
here's a last resort method, try putting the HD in another computer boot the computer up from its normal drive, not the problem one

then navigate to the folder and delete it that way
 
Back
Top