Canon t6s or wait

unwantedSN

Weaksauce
Does anyone know when the t7 will be released? I'm looking to upgrade from my t5i and the t6s looks like a nice upgrade. But I don't know when canon is planning on releasing the new models.
What are your guys thoughts. Wait for the t7, or get the t6s today.

I'm not too sure, but it seems like the t6s was just released relatively recently. Plus, the sensors are all so similar anyway, I expect only an incremental upgrade whenever the t7 comes out.

Considering the price, you could probably find a 70D for a similar price. Or save a boatload of cash and get the t2i, which is more or less the same thing. I'd say these two options are worth your time investigating.

I would say there isn't a compelling reason, at all, to move from a t5i to a t6s. Save your money and work on technique. Otherwise invest in glass or move up actual tiers in Canon's (or another manufacturers) product lines. Buying a new camera isn't a silver bullet to making better images. Knowing your gear, understanding techniques, and having vision do. There is brilliant work put out on T2is, a $100 prime lens, and a $50 reflector. Genuinely, don't spend your money upgrading your camera unless it's going to be significant.

And even then ask yourself: "how is this upgrade going to help me do something that I wasn't capable of doing before with my current camera?" If you can't come up with a compelling reason I would argue you shouldn't upgrade. If you just have a ton of money to spend on your hobby and it's fun for you to upgrade then of course, buy whatever you want and ignore me. But if your goal is to get better at image making, then a newer camera won't help you do that.

Canon releases a consumer based camera once a year. It's just a commodity designed for turnover (which is entirely unnecessary for any and all users but it generates big money for the camera industry). Do you know how often pro cameras are released? Once in at least 4 years. Do you know how often working pros upgrade? I don't have stats but it's probably over 5-6 years on average for most, at least in regards to camera body upgrades. Because doing so would have to generate ROI or allow the photographer to do something that can't do now, or do something significantly better than their current camera. Something that buying a newer body generally doesn't do. Sure there are the top 5% of photographers that can afford to get every upgrade every 4 years just because and have $100k in glass that they roll around in their Pelicans, but that is the minority.

tl;dr: Don't bother, what you have now is perfectly fine.

I'd move to a double dial camera if you're looking to upgrade. The enhanced usability of the 70D/80D might be worth it, especially if you're OK with getting a refurbished unit from the Canon outlet. I was very happy with the jump in performance from my 50D. Looking at the relative specs, a t5 to t6 jump is similar.

BB

Back