cannot ping internal IP's

Corporal79

Gawd
Just wanted to throw this out there as I was at my brothers house last night getting ready to fire up some BF2 and we ran into some weird network issues.

He has three PC's all with wired connections to the router WPN824 I believe (internal antenna's and with flashing blue LED's) each pc is unable to ping another on the same workgroup although I was able to remote desktop into my home pc just fine. Pings to various websites were working fine. Just not able to see or ping eachother. Any ideas?

He said he was having other issues with his main rig after uninstalling Vista so he reinstalled windows on it and one other PC but is still having the same issue.

9 times out of 10 this is due to a Firewall (Possibly the Windows XP SP2 Firewall) being enabled. Do you know if one is running? It will block incoming ping requests.

I have never had an issue with windows firewall blocking pings from within the LAN, I also tested this with my home network with windows firewall enabled and am able to ping every pc on the network.

Any other ideas?

I had a similiar problem with wireless clients in that I was not able to ping them from within an internal network.

Dig up the mac address of the machine you're trying to ping to. Then on the machine you're trying to ping from, (assuming you have XP), open up the console and type this

arp -s (ipaddress of remote machine) (mac address of remote machine)

example

arp -s 192.168.1.7 00-aa-00-62-c6-09

Then try pinging the remote machine.

Even though you said all your clients are wired, figured this couldn't hurt.

ok will do this tonight and post results, he also says that a week earlier he was able to share files between the computers so at one time it was working properly

Also, make sure the PC's are all on the same subnet or you will have to make a add a route statement on the PC sending the ping and on the PC responding to the ping.

BBA said:
Also, make sure the PC's are all on the same subnet or you will have to make a add a route statement on the PC sending the ping and on the PC responding to the ping.

all the pc's are on 255.255.255.0

all is well, he reset the router back to factory settings and it's fine, he must have been tinkering in there and changed something, thanks for the replies!

Back