Cannot get across Detecting IDE Drives... in post.

iDunno

Weaksauce
I have IDE1 to my Hard drive with jumper settings to CS
IDE2 To my cd rom drive with CS

The bios doesnt wanna seem to detect any of my drives.
It just stays there when it says Detecting IDE Drives.

When i unplug the IDE cable from the cd-rom drive the cd-rom powers up and you are able to open it, if i plug the IDE cable in, its like there is no power to the cd-rom drive.

What could be the problem?
Thanks.

Check your connections
Try Master for both (one at a time) and see if it will work

BIOS > (typically) PNP\PCI submenu > Force Update ESCD (Extended System Configuration Data) If available, not all BIOS have that

if you dont Clear CMOS and let it all redetect
(of course you need to reset you CPU speed\multiplier ect, just like a new build)

as a note IDE 0 is how most of the documentation Ive seen refers to the Primary Channel
w\ IDE 1 as the secondary, not really sure if that is industry wide or not :p

I cant get into the BIOS menu, when i hit the del key it freezes like Detecting IDE drives.

Hmmm....
Discoonect the drives and access the BIOS

get it to recognize there are no drives
alternately clear the CMOS (by jumper, but by removing the battery if you have to, wait 5 minutes)

try those if it clears attach one device at a time
and if available use the force update ESCD inbetween

If i clear the CMOS will it auto detect the settings for my processor and stuff when i turn on the computer again?

Did it when you built it?
many do, some need to be manually set
there is always the safe defaults

was about to leave to take my dogs for a walk
but will be back in 30 minutes or so.

sorry
PS Ive been editing behind you so reread
and I'll be right back ;)

ok, i unplugged all cables and got into the bios menu and it set to AUTO(ESCD).
I plugged one IDE cable into the hard drive as master and then as CS and no work.

So i took that one out and tried plugging the IDE cable into my CD-rom as master, then as CS.

Still no work.
It is still stuck on Detecting IDE Drives...

:confused: :confused:

(the "full" procedure)
http://www.plasma-online.de/ >Solutions > Verifying DMI Pool Data in Windows (all versions)

Description
Verifying DMI Pool Data in Windows 95/98

The Desktop Management Interface (DMI) is a new method of managing computers in an enterprise. The main component of DMI is the Management Information Format Database, or MIFD (the DMI Pool Data). This database contains all the information about the computing system and its components. At times, some systems may experience a hang condition after partitioning, formatting and initial boot-up of a hard drive. In Windows 95 and 98, changes to the motherboards BIOS settings, changes in hard drives or to hard drive settings alters this pool data. The message, "Verifying DMI Pool Data" appears and the system hangs. This condition may continue even after the physical drive has been removed from the system.

Solution
Method One:
- Apply power to the computer.
- Access the system BIOS.
- Set "Reset configuration data" to enable (most likely to be found in PCI/PnP section of BIOS)
- Save the BIOS changes and restart PC.

Method Two:
- Access the system BIOS.
- Set the drive type as None or Not Installed.
- Then Load the BIOS Defaults
- Then Load the SETUP Defaults
- Save the BIOS changes and reboot the PC to a System Boot Diskette.
- Shut down the PC after the memory count is displayed.
- Reconnect the power and interface cables to the hard drive.
- Access the System BIOS.
- Auto-Detect the hard drive. Ensure that the LBA Mode option is enabled.
- Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC with a System Diskette.
- Partition and format the hard drive via the operating system.
- Restart the system. On boot, the screen should read:
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful
- The system should continue booting normally.

Method Three:
- Access the System BIOS.
- Disable both the Internal and External CPU Cache. These features are located in either the "BIOS Features" or "Advanced Settings" menu.
- Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC to a System Boot Diskette. On startup, the screen should read:
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful
- After the system successfully boots, re-start the PC and access the system BIOS.
- Enable the Internal and External CPU Cache.
- Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC to a System Boot Diskette. On startup, the screen should read:
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful

NOTE: If the above mentioned methods fail to resolve the issue, contact the system or motherboard manufacturer to either clear the CMOS or update the BIOS for your motherboard. This will entail either:

- Removing the "Clear CMOS" Jumper and resetting the system BIOS or:
- Obtaining and applying a Flash BIOS Upgrade for your motherboard.

try the cache trick, then the clear CMOS if niether of those works
you might have a corrupted BIOS
have you ever flashed a BIOS?

When doing method three, should i leave all the ide cables disconnected? if i connect them then i cannot get into the BIOS menu.

And how do i get a system boot diskette?

So, i remove all ide cables, go into bios and disable caches, save, then put in diskette, then it should say "DMI..." then i turn off then i leave the disk in and plug in IDE cables. and turn on computer and go in bios and turn on caches and then take disk out and restart then it should work?

Is that the right procedure? that guide is a little confusing.

sure that will do

or

disconnect HDDs
access BIOS > Disable caches > save & exit
shutoff
connect cables > start

I disconnected the drives, disabled the caches, and saved and restarted.
Then i connected the drives and now i cannot get into the bios menu because it is stuck on Detecting IDE Drives.

at this point I see 2 possibilities

a bad drive (one of the two)
corrupted BIOS

which mobo is this?

BIOS Revision History
Bios name Remarks

FN45S00B Checksum: F400 Date: 05/02/03

Initial release.

FN45S00D Checksum: 3200 Date: 05/28/03

Fixed system sometimes cannot boot.

FN45S00F Checksum: 4800 Date: 05/30/03

Improve USB devices compatibility

FN45S00I Checksum: 8500 Date: 06/09/03

1. Added the multiplier setting (x11.5, x12.0, and x12.5) in BIOS.

2. Added Spread Spectrum table when FSB200 CPU installed.

FN45S00J Checksum: 8F00 Date: 10/03/03

Support 0.13 micron AMD Duron (Applebred) CPU.

FN45S00M Checksum: A100 Date: 12/05/03

1. Added "C1 Disconnect" item in BIOS setup menu.
2. Added "IDE DMA transfer access" item in BIOS setup menu.
3. Improve DDR compatibility.
4. Support 0.18 micron AMD Duron (Palomino) CPU.

download
http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/download/dwn.asp
SN45G (FN45) , 12/24/2003

step 1 ID your current BIOS version

once again have you ever flashed a BIOS?

My BIOS version is FN45S00F
and i have never flashed a BIOS before.

Thanks for the continued help :)

http://us.shuttle.com/
Navigate to > support > HTTP Download - BIOS > Next > enter into box "SN45G" > Click fn45s00m.bin
save to a folder on your desktop (or wherever you saved the DrDOS file I had you download

2 methods available for updating/flashing Bios ( for XPC only )

i. Bios can be updated/ flashed by using WinFlash utility from Award.
This utility is to perform bios updating under the Windows environment. Please find the WinFlash from Mainboard CD or download it from ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/BIOS/utility.(The download file with extension .zip can be extracted with Winzip program.)
For details on how to use WinFlash, please refer to the document.

ii. Bios can also be updated/ flashed under PURE DOS mode.
Before bios update take place, download bios file either from Download or ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/ in zip format (file contain, e.g. fb51s034.bin and awdflash.exe.). Extract the file into a bootable floppy disk or into hard drive. Start the system with a bootable floppy disk or bootable CD into PURE DOS mode. When DOS prompt, type awdflash fb51s034.bin. After finish updating, restart system and press "delete?key to enter CMOS Setup Utility(Bios setting). Select "Load Optimized Defaults?and then" Save & Exit Setup?

Id recommend flashing in DOS its safer
and more straight forward than it appears at first
the "Pure DOS boot disk"
is what you create with DrDOS 7.x

direct download
http://www.abitfaq.it/Files/drdflash.exe
it contains no drivers for the HDDs CDROM ect.
unlike the Win98SE bootdisk you downloaded

you have an Award BIOS
here is a little tutorial
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php/id/65
you only need the instructions down to the first line\pagebreak
------------------------------------------------------ <that thing :p

past that is advanced instructions
the main thing to remember\change is your .bin file name is different ;)

PS any power outage, restart ect during a BIOS flash is a very bad thing ;)

So, do you think that my BIOS is corrupt even thought its a brand new motherboard?
Im a little afraid of flashing the BIOS.

so was I the first time I did it
its the consequences of a bad flash that is scary
having to get a new EPPROM chip and all
about $20 from the mobo manufacturer and of course the downtime, if it your only computer....

but in truth Ive never had a bad flash

there are mobos that employ dual BIOS and there are aftermarket dual BIOS as well, I have an RD1 BIOS Savior on my KR7A, but Ive never had to use it, even when I modified my BIOS which is where such a device is truely handy

at this point its about all you can do other than test the drives themselves, kind of hard to do if we cant detect them

its down to the mobo
the drive
the BIOS
the cables

failure to detect the drives is more than likely the fault of the last three

what you are describing is the typical activity of not detecting ide device if jumper/cable settings are not correct.

first off a drive should never be in cable select. you should have the drives configured in the proper master slave physical settings. on some drives, western digital, need to be in a neutral setting if the only drive present on the ide channel.

the escd reset is only used to reconfigure the bios configuration data of the periphial devices. this setting when enabled causes it to gather pnp data again and reconfigure. it should almost never need to be used. it does not change anything to the ide devices at all. nor is editing of the dmi information needed since proper installation of devices automically updates dmi.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...mFueX4mcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp

i would suggest if you have another brand or the instructions available to read them for you proper jumper configurations. also, check the articulation of the cable and make sure the connections are in the proper places. extended and rounded can be a cause of the issue if using such use the normal flat 80 pin.

As of the 2nd post, both drives should be on their own channels, and set to master, overlooked the single (Master w\out slave present) jumper setting

thanx ;)

While ESCD primarily addresses PNP devices , the BIOS uses that information to allocate resources, resources that the IDE bus has to employ as well (DMA channels, IRQ sharing, I/O address usage)
consider a PCI ATA or SCSI Controller, or a RAID card

ESCD
Extended System Configuration Data. In order to support the PnP devices, the BIOS requires a non-volatile storage (e.g., EPROM) to store the system resource information. The ESCD is a format for BIOS to store the resource information for PnP or non-PnP devices in a bit string format.

Force Update ESCD

Common Options : Enabled, Disabled

Quick Review

If you install a new piece of hardware or modify your computer's hardware configuration, the BIOS will automatically detect the changes and reconfigure the ESCD (Extended System Configuration Data). Therefore, there is usually no need to manually force the BIOS to reconfigure the ESCD.

However, the occasion may arise where the BIOS may not be able to detect the hardware changes. A serious resource conflict may occur and the operating system may not even boot as a result. This is where the Force Update ESCD BIOS feature comes in.

This BIOS feature allows you to manually force the BIOS to clear the previously saved ESCD data and reconfigure the settings. All you need to do is enable this BIOS feature and then reboot your computer. The new ESCD should resolve the conflict and allow the operating system to load normally.

Please note that the BIOS will automatically reset it to the default setting of Disabled after reconfiguring the new ESCD. So, there is no need for you to manually disable this feature after rebooting.

Extended System Configuration Data (ESCD) @ the PC Guide

If the BIOS were to assign resources to each PnP device on every boot, two problems would result. First, it would take time to do something that it has already done before, each boot, for no purpose. After all, most people change their system hardware relatively infrequently. Second and more importantly, it is possible that the BIOS might not always make the same decision when deciding how to allocate resources, and you might find them changing even when the hardware remains unchanged.

ESCD is designed to overcome these problems. The ESCD area is a special part of your BIOS's CMOS memory, where BIOS settings are held. This area of memory is used to hold configuration information for the hardware in your system. At boot time the BIOS checks this area of memory and if no changes have occurred since the last bootup, it knows it doesn't need to configure anything and skips that portion of the boot process.

ESCD is also used as a communications link between the BIOS and the operating system. Both use the ESCD area to read the current status of the hardware and to record changes. Windows 95 reads the ESCD to see if hardware has been changed and react accordingly. Windows 95 also allows users to override Plug and Play resource assignments by manually changing resources in the Device Manager. This information is recorded in the ESCD area so the BIOS knows about the change at the next boot and doesn't try to change the assignment back again.

The ESCD information is stored in a non-volatile CMOS memory area, the same way that standard BIOS settings are stored

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i know what the bios options do. as i said it is needed for periphial configuration data reset. it does nothing to the hard drive itself. note, ide controllers have dma ability since it is bus mastering but not a dma channel (big difference). also ide controllers in compatability mode will never share. it will use the standard isa 14/15. only in native mode does an ide controller have the ability to share. windows 2k/xp will manage the interrupt/resource allocation not the bios. so as i said before this setting is very much useless and his problem is most likely something else e.g. jumper configuration of the hard drive. remember he is at ide detection and stalled at this point after post.

Back