Cannot connect to internet for 20 secs

WickedWeasel

Limp Gawd
Fresh WinXP sp2 install. Created the internet connection by going to control panel, network connections and used New connection Wizard to make the broadband connection for "all users". from properties, i unchecked "prompt for name and password, certificate etc."

Then i created a shortcut on the desktop and dragged that shortcut into the STARTUP folder for "all users" to allow for an automatic internet connection after a reboot. the internet connection works fine.

To indicate when the LAN port is connected, i went to control panel, network connection, properties, i checked "show icon in the notification area when connected"

this same method works nicely on a 10 year old computer with an old pci ethernet card. on the old computer, upon bootup, the internet connection is done in 2 secs.

On my new computer, upon bootup i can see a popup that tells me internet connection is dialing, the LAN port is connected instantly, but then it takes another 20secs for the internet connection icon to show up. if i click on the icon to manually connect, it doesn't speed it up, it just gets stuck for 20secs each time after each bootup. it seems like there is some contention there.

what is wrong?
how is everyone else making an automatic internet connection upon bootup?
it this a problem with the gigabyte p35 boards that use the realtek built in LAN?

sorry, not "dialing", but "connecting" through WAN miniport (pppoe)
the built in LAN is a realtek rtl8168/8111

Sounds like it is sitting there while it is pulling your IP address etc from the DHCP server.

If you staticly setup your IP address does the same thing happen?

I'm at a loss here. What type of internet service are you with?

Your mention of the ethernet card makes me suspect that it is an ADSL connection, and if so you shouldn't need to configure anything whatsover to have internet connectivity. You only need to have your modem connected and logged in. Your ethernet card (or onboard ethernet) will automatically detect the connection.

I've never yet had to use a 'Connection Wizard' to get internet connectivity with ADSL. I've only ever had to configure the modem/router for the connection.

You should have to configure very little if you are running a router.

And certainly don't need to dump any icon into the startup folder to get a connection. It should be connected automatically on bootup unless you are using the network icon to disable the ethernet card.

This same thing happens to me. It doesn't matter if I have a static IP or not. I am using a Linksys WRT54G router. Everytime I've reformatted the same thing happens. Just annoying.

I am on ADSL. I followed this guide to make the connection.

http://public.pacbell.net/dsl/winxp/index.html#dynamic

I deleted the broadband connection (from control panel, network connections) made using the above method and created a new broadband connection using this method:

control panel, internet options, connections, add, selected "connect to the network via broadband", entered user name, entered password, domain is left blank.
from properties, i unchecked "prompt for name and password, certificate etc."

control panel, network connections, created a shortcut for the broadband connection i just made and moved it to the startup folder so upon bootup it will automatically create a connection to the internet without me having to double click the shortcut.

STRANGE thing happening:
-------------------------------------------
upon a bootup, the LAN icon shows up almost instantly, but the broadband (ADSL) icon does not show up for 20secs. However, 2 secs after the LAN icon shows up at the task bar, I am able to surf the net about 17 secs before the icon for the broadband connection shows up. There is some kind of conflict happening that is delaying the icon from showing up.

right now, i am switching back and forth from the new and old computer. when i am unable to connect after many tries with the new computer, i unplug the cable from the new computer and plug in into the old computer and i am able to connect instantly. the new computer is able to connect about 1/2 the time.

some info for both setups
---------------------------------------
control panel, network connections,. LAN, properties, general TAB, everything is unchecked. if i leave "internet protocol (TCP/IP) checked, it will be unable to connect. it only shows a connected status if that is unchecked.

control panel, network connections, broadband connection (the one i just created form internet options), properties, networking TAB, "internet protocol (TCP/IP)" is checked, "QoS Packet Scheduler" is checked, the rest are unchecked.

If you are connecting through a wired router then all you should have to do is plug the cable in.

Are you using a router?

I'm at a loss here. What type of internet service are you with?

Your mention of the ethernet card makes me suspect that it is an ADSL connection, and if so you shouldn't need to configure anything whatsover to have internet connectivity. You only need to have your modem connected and logged in. Your ethernet card (or onboard ethernet) will automatically detect the connection.

I've never yet had to use a 'Connection Wizard' to get internet connectivity with ADSL. I've only ever had to configure the modem/router for the connection.
Catweazle, how are you setting it up? The user name and password has to be set somewhere. I am on ADSL.

If you are connecting through a wired router then all you should have to do is plug the cable in.

Are you using a router?
no, i am the only one using this ADSL internet connection. i am directly connected to the modem. the modem is connected directly to the phone line.

There is nothing you can do about this delay unless you purchase a router that has "Keep Alive" and will dial out and authenticate for you.

Windows just takes a bit to initialize the PPPoE connection.

Catweazle, how are you setting it up? The user name and password has to be set somewhere. I am on ADSL.
That's set in the modem or modem/router.

You install Windows, ensuring that the modem or router is turned on and connected to the network card or onboard ethernet. If that modem or router has already previously been logged in to your ADSL provider account, that's all there is to it. Internet WILL be there and available for you to use. As soon as Windows boots up and detects the connection your machine is internet connected. As mentioned above, there's a wee delay before the connection is detected.

If the modem or router hasn't already been logged in you'll have an additional step to perform. You'll need to log it in to your ISP service, and you do that in your web browser.

Your modem or modem/router will have it's IP address mentioned in its manual. Most commonly, they use one of these:

http://10.1.1.1
http://192.168.1.1
http://192.168.1.255

You find out from your modem or router's manual what the IP address of yours is, type it into the address bar of your browser, and enter the username or password to get access to the modem or router configuration. (Again, the default username and password of the modem or router will be mentioned in its manual.) When you're logged in to the configuration facility, some units will have a 'Setup wizard', others will simply have a 'Settings' page where you enter the required details.

In most cases, the thing will already be configured with the default settings used in your country. You'll only really have to enter your ISP username and password to get your internet connection logged in.

Details about manually configuring your modem or router should be available on your ISP's help page. If you can't find the settings details there, ring their help and support number.

Be aware, most ISPs require you to enter your 'username' in the form:

[email protected]

In other words, in most cases you'll need to enter the FULL username, rather than just the first bit of it.

Anyways, once that modem or router has been configured for your internet connection it'll detect the connection every time it's turned on. Matter of fact, it's a waste of effort to ever turn it off, unless you're expecting an electrical storm, going to be away from the premises for a while, or somesuch. Leave it turned on and connected and the internet is there as soon as Windows has had time to boot up and detect the connection.

My own modem/router only ever really gets 'turned off' if it's dropped the connection. When that happens I reboot the thing so it picks up the connection again.

I can't configure the modems, and I don't think I added an internet connection during windows installation, that is why I have to make a new connection in the internet option section for connections.

The strange part is that while the internet (broadband) connected icon is taking 20secs to display, I am able to surf the internet about 17secs before the icon appears. During the 20secs before the icon appears on the task bar, if I attempt to go to the Network Connections from control panel, it will not respond until after the internet (broadband) connected icon shows up on the task bar. There is some conflict there during those 20secs. It is like as if there is a freeze waiting for hardware to respond in the same way as if you insert a DVD into the player and immediately click on the DVD drive in windows explorer, it will freeze until the DVD finishes reading the table of contents. But the 20sec freeze should not occur because I am already able to surf the net. It appears something that is not needed is being initialized.

Disabling DHCP client and DNS client didn't help. Setting the DoS to 0% helped when disconnecting and reconnecting quickly.

I am using WinXP SP1 on my old computer with an old ethernet card and this problem doesn't occur eventhough I setup windows in the same way. There may be something new in SP2 that may be causing it?

Back