Can Windows Messenger connect to AIM?

BobTheSlob

Limp Gawd
Is there any way Windows Messenger can connect to AIM? Or with a plugin of some kind?

Not that I've heard of... just use trillian, it makes life much easier :)

Another vote for Trillian - I've been using it for almost as long as its been out, since the betas.

But listen to what you just asked... how in the world would Microsoft want you to use a competitor's messaging service?

this is gonna be one very smart ass answer but dammit its so easy to do and saves a post.

www.google.com I typed "tillian download" together and found over 10 places to download it

:rolleyes:

I was looking for a direct link but thanks for the "help":rolleyes:

Originally posted by XOR != OR
Jabber makes life even easier than that.

As a matter of curiosity, what does it do that trillian doesn't? Trillian is a tad on the buggy side sometimes... we've gone through patches A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H or something like that for the last release...

I'm not dedicated to trillian if there's a better option. So... jabber over trillian? I don't need fancy features, just a relatively low footprint client that'll connect to every protol as I use it for MSN, AIM, ICQ, Y! and IRC.

Originally posted by vinnie
I'm not dedicated to trillian if there's a better option. So... jabber over trillian? I don't need fancy features, just a relatively low footprint client that'll connect to every protol as I use it for MSN, AIM, ICQ, Y! and IRC.
Well, let me explain how I use jabber and why I like it. Might shed some light on it for you.

Jabber, ( in this reference )for those that don't know, is an IM server that uses the XMPP protocol for transportation of the messages. It is, essentially, it's own IM service. However, may server admins install different gateways to different services. On my server, I have msn, aim, icq. You can also get IRC and yahoo ( among others ). The really nice thing about jabber is everything is server side that can be. So you only need one client for all these services, no matter what you add to the server. Another nice benefit of this is your contacts are stored server side.

As for the client, I run psi, which is a cross-platform jabber client. On fedora core 1 with the 2.6.4 kernel, it eats up 15MB of memory.

Jabber is its own (open) protocol. You connect to a jabber server and that is the only link between you and the server. You can talk to other people who use jabber. Like XOR was saying, a lot of servers have gateways on them so that you can actually talk to people on other networks. It's really nice and it is all I use now(with gaim).

Back