Can this do 1080p?

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
So I was given a computer this weekend and thinking of turning it into a secondary HTPC unit if I can. All my media is mostly 1080 with a couple 720 videos here and there. Its a Pentium 4 620 (so single core but has Hyper Threading), 2 gigs of ram, and a ATI 1950 XT. Obviously ill probably replace the video card with a HDMI video card, but can the processor do 1080 is the main issue? If not, its going to be turned into a file server.

i would agree that it ca not do it, but if the mobo could take and upgrade then you might still be able to salvage it.

Funny, i was about to post my own question about 1080p...

I have a AMD 64 x2 4400, 2 gigs ram, geforce 210
it plays 720s just fine, but when i load up a high quality 1080p it starts to stutter for a little and the CPU is @ 100%.... i am debating upgrading the CPU to a FX series or maybe to a higher spec X2....

weird I thought the 210 would have no problem decoding 1080p

Funny, i was about to post my own question about 1080p...

I have a AMD 64 x2 4400, 2 gigs ram, geforce 210
it plays 720s just fine, but when i load up a high quality 1080p it starts to stutter for a little and the CPU is @ 100%.... i am debating upgrading the CPU to a FX series or maybe to a higher spec X2....

Your GPU should take the majority of the load. I'm surprised its not working. What player are you using?

i am a nvidia fanboy :p
so i may step it up and throw in a beefier nvidia card

Wow, I didn't know the 210 was this weak. Sell it and pick up a 4650 used?

newegg has a ati 5550 on sale, reviews are generally favorable for its 1080p playback.... might have to jump on it right now

Wow, I didn't know the 210 was this weak.
NV's line suck like a drunken high school girl at a college party: everyone.

Anyways, going NV, just pick up that new 430 GT or whatever it's called. Anything else is really just plain shit.

i ordered that ati 5550, newegg wont ship till tomorrow, so i still have time to see if theres a better deal somewhere else

i ordered that ati 5550, newegg wont ship till tomorrow, so i still have time to see if theres a better deal somewhere else
a 210 is more than enough, considering im using an older/slower 9400m and its fine.
you just have your media player improperly configured most likely.

to the op, you possibly can with either coreavc or divx 7 h264 decoder.
If that doesnt work, try arcsoft tmt5, that should give you a modicum of hardware acceleration from the x1950, it might give you enough umph for 1080p videos.

Last edited:
OP's rig should work fine with a 5550 or any respectable modern GPU (aka not a gf210 :D) x1xxx series didn't have hardware acceleration, but with a new GPU it'll do most of the decoding on built in hardware

Please enlighten me how to fix this :D

id say install mpc hc, and reset to defaults when given the option.
the default settings will have full hardware acceleration for h264 video with cards like the geforce 210.
if there are still problems, update your drivers.

x1xxx series didn't have hardware acceleration
it doesnt support full bitstream decoding, but it does support a more primitive form of hardware acceleration, one that isn't as effective, and is only supported in players like arcsoft's afaik...

ofc, if op would buy something like a cheap 5450, it would make his life easier since it could fully offload everything and it would work in normal players like mpc hc.

Last edited:
No. It only supports partial, as in HALF, hardware decoding so the CPU is left doing the hard stuff which isn't good when he's already using a shitty CPU.

i installed klite codec
when i get home tonight, ill try a few 1080s and see if its fixes my issue...
the ati isnt arriving till friday :( stupid newegg shipping from CA, when i am in NJ... grumble grumble

I dont think you should be using klite.

what i suggest is that you download just mpc hc, install it, and reset settings when given the option during the installation, and just stick with that and its built in codecs.

Last edited:
coreavc and MPC-HC fixed the issue on MOST 1080s
several of mine are extremely large.... like avatar is 24 gigs and that one plays funny. the rest that are not as large are playing completely fine now....

thnx!

coreavc is cpu based.
It's more efficient to fully offload the video decoding to your geforce 210 or 5570.
and you can do that with the mpc hc defaults.

i tried that. before installing AVC i ran the uber 1080 and it stuttered.
although ive looked through MPC HC and didnt see any specific setting for rending on the VGA... excep the DirectX stuff, which was checked off anyways....

can you show me where?

options>internal filters
make sure all the dxva stuff are checked under transform filters.
then in the lower left, while something is playing, it should say: Playing [DXVA]

checked that...

i think its something else thats causing this lag issue.
even tried the ATI 5550

i am guessing its not normal for the CPU to be @ 100% is it....
i uninstalled core AVC, checked the DXVA settings.
iam debating doing a fresh install, since all i really need on this box, is media browser, media center master, and tahts it.

checked that...

even tried the ATI 5550

iam debating doing a fresh install, since all i really need on this box, is media browser, media center master, and tahts it.
I was having a lot of issues trying to get bitstreaming to work using ffdshow and in the end I wound up reformatting. it worked immediately. You want to keep to the bare minimum in terms of codecs, because they're easy to install, but really hard to remove when they cause a conflict. My rule of thumb: MPC-HC+ffdshow = end of story.

Dollars to donuts it's cause you installed Klite which, even when removed, screws up video playback for everything else. This is why it's suggested to never install Klite. It's garbage.
checked that...

even tried the ATI 5550

ya probably it was that.... going to take out the ATI 5550 - in hopes of just returning it to the egg.
pop the 210 back in, nuke the whole 30gig ssd and do it from scratch.
media browser, MPC HC, media center master... DONE

In that case the best option is the Shark's codec setup. Theres an excellent guide by Greeneyez on AVSforum for how to do this. The alternative is to use MPC-HC as an external player combined with media browser. In the MB setup you can choose external players for certain file-types, and whenever you try to launch a file from MB with that extension it'll play it with the program of your choosing. when you close MPC-HC, WMC will come right back up. Its not quite as seamless as using WMC to play them, but there are some benefits. Its what I do.

ya wow, that guide is REALLY good. going to try it out tonight.thanks for the info!

Little drunk so bear with me...

I'm going to attempt to make a post without reading the whole thread for context.

Playing MKV's in WMC is simple....

Install WMC... Install Haalis... PROFIT.

all done.. Night!

Little drunk so bear with me...

I'm going to attempt to make a post without reading the whole thread for context.

Playing MKV's in WMC is simple....

Install WMC... Install Haalis... PROFIT.

all done.. Night!

+1. That is all I have on my HTPC. Works great. Sharks is great, but you really shouldnt need all that stuff. I run TMT3, and Haali, and it plays everything I throw at it, including bitstreaming HD audio via HDMI. MKV's, AVI's, you name it.

sharks guide worked really well for me.

except my avatar wont play... its an MKV, and every other MKV i have, works just fine. wtf? lol

Back